We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: My wee patch  (Read 5163 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: My wee patch
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »
John they are bought as plugs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »
Only just ventured into this topic ... the title put me off!!!   ;D :o :o :o

Thought it might just be about 'bog' plants!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
What are you taking Cliff?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
What are you taking Cliff?

Methadone and cheese!  Life is just one long nightmare!   :D
Cliff Booker

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »
Cliff,

I might have "thought" the same thing as you did when I first read the title, but at least I didn't actually write it.  ::)  My humour is as bad as yours, but at least my internal censorship at times is still in working order. ;)

Now someone just needs to come up with a new genus "Latrinus" and we'll have a perfect topic.  Of course the genus will have to be in Fabaceae. :P
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »
Now Paul, you know you mustn't hold things in ... you have the gall to say; "My internal censorship at times is still in working order" and then come up with "Latrinus".  I presume we will have to move Fritillaria sewerzowii to this new genus?
Give 'em an inch and they'll take a bile!   :D
Cliff Booker

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:47 PM »
Talking of wee patches, as from tomorrow (July 1st) smoking is to be illegal in NZ prisons. Since smoking is the only exercise many prisoners seem to get (they say about 75% of prisoners smoke) it is predicted that there will be riots, taking prison staff as hostages and all kinds of mayhem. Nicotine patches are being offered to those who wish to give up and the take-up rate is high because it has been discovered that in one patch there is the equivilent nicotine of 4 ciggies. Now the prisoners are working out ways of extracting it for no doubt inventive uses.

To our deep and lasting shame, the occupancy rate of prisons in NZ is, per capita, lower than ONLY the USA. Many more intelligent and effective ways of punishing and rehabilitating are available but we have a very active and vocal lobby (led by a nasty little man who has built for himself a high media profile), which insists on incarceration as the only way to deal with crime. The politicians listen to him and his ilk and the prison population burgeons. For small and petty crimes the country pays an enormous price to keep guys (and a relatively few women) in there, and the men concerned learn how to be REALLY bad, before they are eventually released. Yes, there's a need for imprisonment for some people but probably half or more of our prisoners would be better off, as would the community, if other ways of rehabilitation were used more often.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:26:52 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24:15 AM »
Now Paul, you know you mustn't hold things in ... you have the gall to say; "My internal censorship at times is still in working order" and then come up with "Latrinus".  I presume we will have to move Fritillaria sewerzowii to this new genus?
Give 'em an inch and they'll take a bile!   :D

Cliff,

But did you notice the Fabaceae reference as well?  It is, after all, the Pea family.  :P  I thought that family suitable for the genus Latrinus. ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal