We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Splitting Primula Euprepes  (Read 2411 times)

robg

Splitting Primula Euprepes
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »
I've a good plant of this in a pot with I think 4 growing points - how and when do I go about splitting it ?

Thanks
Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
Re: Splitting Primula Euprepes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »
Rob, how do you grow it ? I have sown seeds spring 2010, but young seedlings died last winter. This spring 2011 two  new seedlings have sprouted but I fear to lose them too.
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

robg

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »
Ahh - I cheated and bought it from Kevock Gardens who are near enough to me to go to their open day.  It cost 12 GBP which is really rather a lot for a primula, and took a little bit of encouragement from my wife for me to pay that, but if there are 4 plants in it then it's good value.

If you are having difficulty with seed propagation, why don't you email David or Stella at Kevock (use some Franglish to get some sympathy!) and I'm sure you will get some assistance.  From the lack of response to my query, I may have to do the same and hope for sympathetic assistance as a local.

Rob 

Rob Graham, Edinburgh

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
Thanks Rob  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
I assume the flowers are well past by now and  any seed capsules saved. Splitting these primulas is much the same as for  others.... you can either let the plant become quite dry and shake the soli off the roots or, as I porefer to do, wash the soil off gently, by slooshing the root ball in a basin of almost warm water. Once you have the roots clean it will be easier to see where any natural division of the roots might be made, teasing any new rosettes gently apart.  You've don that job well enough with Weldenia, Rob, the primula should be a cakewalk!  Once the sections are repotted, keep them coolish and lightly watered to prevent burning from the sun (seems unlikely, I know!!) and give them a chance to settle down before winter.
If any fatroots are broken in the process pot them up too... you may get them to make root cuttings. Doesn't always work but worth a try.  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
Hi Rob,
Perhaps the few replies are indicative of the number of people with experience of the species.
I too have one that has a number of offsets but I think I will leave it until next year. I usually do all my primula splitting as soon as the flowers have gone and I will probably do the same with this one.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »
Rob, I'm amazed your wife actually encourages you to spend money on a plant. My other half certainly doesn't, and David N must be eating his eat out. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

robg

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
Many thanks Maggi - a fulsome answer indeed.  I've got the seed capsules but don't think there's any seed.  Did your Weldenia thrive - mine didn't survive this past winter ?

Lesley - nice comment, but then P. Euprepes does rather sell itself and for the moment anyway is worth the premium.  Spouses can be unpredictable (don't we all know it!  ::) and fortunately this was one in my favour, even if was my own pocket money. :D

Graham - I'll post back and let you know how I get on.

Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
Did your Weldenia thrive - mine didn't survive this past winter ?
Well, it was doing fine till we left the pot overwinter sitting on an aluminium tray.... poor thing got frozen solid.  :'( :'(
A loss is always so much harder to bear if it was caused by your own stupidity.... we were furious with ourselves... lost a whole batch of bulbs onthat ruddy tray.  >:( :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal