We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Are they fertile?  (Read 47333 times)

Gunilla

Re: Are they fertile?
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »
I have had a look at my plants. The seed pod is not hairy but there are hair on other parts of the plant.

Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 12:36:25 AM »
Diane and Gunilla, your plants certainly look right, not the Stylophorum that most turn out to be. As a mature plant, the leaves are somewhat Astilbe-like. Diane, would you share please, the Japanese source of your plants if you feel able to do so?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
My Hylomecon japonica -plant looks just like the one in Gunilla's picture, and it has long seed pods (I opened one and there were seeds but they were still white and not mature, I don't know if they are fertile or not, I will keep an eye on them). I will have to check if they are hairy or not.
Diane's japanese Hylomecon sounds very interesting.
Leena from south of Finland

Robert Pavlis

• Garden Myths
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
Diane - not sure why you said "Robert, I don't think your seed pod looks correct, as I thought Hylomecon has long pods"? I think my comments were about the seeds, not the pod.

I believe the comment about hairs, by another poster,  referred to the seed pod, not the plant. The plant has hairs, but the seed pod is hairless.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:39:12 PM by Robert Pavlis »
Robert, Guelph, Ont Canada, zone 5
Author of http://www.gardenmyths.com/
Owner of Aspen Grove Gardens

Robert Pavlis

• Garden Myths
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2015, 01:41:47 PM »
I have completed a post on my blog, GardenMyths.com comparing Hylomecon japonica with it's three imposters; Stylophorum diphyllum, Stylophorum lasiocarpum and Chelidonium majus. Please let me know if you find any mistakes.

http://www.gardenmyths.com/hylomecon-japonica-which-is-the-real-plant/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »
Haven't time to look at your blog now Robert, appointment in half an hour and I'm late already but will do, later today.

I think your picture Leena, says all the right things about the Hylomecon. It is very beautiful and choice - look at the company it's keeping  :) - and for a cool, dampish place, semi-shade. It's great to see several plants among  members.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »
Thanks Leslie. :)

Robert, a good posting showing well the difference in the leaves of the four species. I think it is easiest to tell them apart from the leaves and the fact that H.japonica goes dormant in early summer.
Here Chelidonium majus grows as a weed (I also once had fl pl but it disappeared), and I've grown both Stylophorum species but S.diphyllum died at some point and I don't know if S.lasiocarpum is alive either (it survived longer). I didn't like neither Stylphorums so much (they reminded me too much of C.majus, though they were different) and so they got neglected and other plants grew over them, but Hylomecon japonica is my favourite.
Leena from south of Finland

Robert Pavlis

• Garden Myths
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
My H.japonica usually goes dormant early as well, but not this year. It is a bit yellow, but all of the leaves are still present as of today. We did have more regular rain and cooler temperatures this year. It has been quite a cool summer.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2019, 01:30:16 AM »
I have the chance to conclude the discussions here with pictures of Hylomecon vernalis (syn. H. japonica) seeds taken on grid paper.
For final comparison I'll add the capsules and seeds of Stylophorum lasiocarpum and S. diphyllum.

Interesting to note that although the Hylomecon pod is very similar with that of S. lasiocarpum (minus hairs), the seeds are closer to those of S. diphyllum (though a bit smaller).

And to answer before someone will ask, no, the seeds are not from mine/or friends plants growing here. They never set seeds, or at best very few.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:34:39 AM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

MarcR

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2022, 05:27:52 AM »
Dianne Whitehead,

I know this is off topic but interesting, I hope.  I noticed your signature and realized that I'm less than 300 miles south of you; and we get 50+ inches of rain [ about 110 cm].  Portland gets about what what you get, and so does Salem.  I have no idea why we get so much more; except that there is a high ridge between me and Dallas that  the rain may have difficulty crossing. I am about 28 miles SSW of Salem and about 8 miles SW of Dallas.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 11:33:34 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal