We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trochocarpa thymifolia  (Read 3740 times)

Roma

Trochocarpa thymifolia
« on: March 04, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
Trochocarpa thymifolia is or ?was in the Epacridaceae but that's close enough to Ericaceae (I think).
I've had this plant since spring 2008 and this is the first time it has flowered for me.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Trochocarpa thymifolia
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »
And very nice too as are many small Australian shrubs.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Well done Roma.   A cute little thing it is.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »
Hello Roma, I'm not sure if this post will work as I'm accessijng the thread through Google Chrome as a reference that came up when I typed in Trochocarpa. I wondered if you could tell me what the seedlings are like as today I saw 2 tiny plants in its pot, of seed sown in June 2008! They are dark browny/purple with minute pointed leaves. Of course they could be something entirely different but niothing that I recognise and believe me, I know most weeds by sight, even at the cotyledon stage. ::) So far they are about 2mm across and have 2 sets of true leaves. Too small for a picture on my camera.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Roma

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
My Trochocarpa was bought as a plant, Lesley.  I think I did germinate seedlings a long time ago after several tries.  I lost the lot in a spell of hot weather after pricking them out.  Your seedlings sound like they could be the real thing but it was a long time ago so my memory could be faulty.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
Thanks Roma. I might try a photo but by the thyme (sorry) I make it big enough to see, it will be very blurry. Marcus or someone in Australia may recognise it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »
I haven't grown this little gem from seed either- but your description of the tiny pointed bronzy purple leaves sounds just like I would be expecting- hope they are right !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
Here's a picture Maggi, better than I expected on the whole. I noticed the label and it was sown in June 09 not 08 so a mere 3 and a half years - if true. :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
I'll stick my neck out and say , yes!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »
I'd agree.  I seem to remember I had a lot germinated two or three years after sowing.  If only I hadn't been daft enough to prick them out in the summer time :-[

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »
Well I'll leave them for now and as there's a lot of space between the two, I can break the surface into 2 parts and just pot each with a lot of extra surround, into new compost but without disturbing the roots at all. Will wait at least until March, maybe next spring (Sept.) It seems one can't afford to throw out ANY pot of seed in case something may come up eventually, at least for species not previously known or grown.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:33 AM »
Here's a picture Maggi, better than I expected on the whole. I noticed the label and it was sown in June 09 not 08 so a mere 3 and a half years - if true. :)
Lesley ,I came across your photo today - too small and young to be sure : if it is T. thymifolia or cunninghamii.As both are growing in my rockgarden I took a photo . T cunninghamii is on the left.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:56:22 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 03:03:49 AM »
Thank you Otto. Judging from the foliage I'd say mine could be thymifolia all right, but yes, too soon to tell. The two tinies are still OK but still tiny. ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal