We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus cyclamineus seeds  (Read 5177 times)

Frans IJsselstijn

Narcissus cyclamineus seeds
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:36:31 PM »
Hello everybody

I'm looking for seeds from Narcissus cyclamineus
Please let me know if you have some seeds for me
Many thanks for your answer

regards from Holland
Frans
in the Netherlands

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Narcissus cyclamineus seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:13:25 PM »
Hello Frans
It's the wrong season here, the N. cyclamineus are in flower but I always get seed from them so if you can't source any in the meantime, let me know privately and I can send some about January.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 01:09:37 AM »
Me too here in Aus.  I usually end up with some amount of seed, but it depends whether I hand pollinate or not (if so then I get a lot more seed!!).  let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:48:46 PM »
Hi Paul and lesley
I'm interested too by Narcissus cyclamineus. If you can think some for me....???? thank you by advance
Dominique
do

Pontoux France

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:56:39 PM »
I have promised seeds to someone this season and to my horror, for the first time in 10 years, there are NONE! Maybe it was too dry at the crucial time. I'll supply some other narcissus seeds instead but can't come up with what I promised, this time. Sorry Dominique. I have plenty on N. bulbocodium citrinus (ready) and should have also on NN. cuatrecasasii and triandrus ssp. triandrus (very soon) if they would interest you. Also on Polyxena longituba (collecting now).
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

dominique

• River Dweller
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:20:43 AM »
I have promised seeds to someone this season and to my horror, for the first time in 10 years, there are NONE! Maybe it was too dry at the crucial time. I'll supply some other narcissus seeds instead but can't come up with what I promised, this time. Sorry Dominique. I have plenty on N. bulbocodium citrinus (ready) and should have also on NN. cuatrecasasii and triandrus ssp. triandrus (very soon) if they would interest you. Also on Polyxena longituba (collecting now).

Thank you Lesley ! Priority at the person you have promised, of course. Next year perhaps more chance for this marvellous species. Yes I am interested by  bulbocodium citrinus, cuatrecasasii, triandrus ssp triandrus. It is very kind for you to propose me that. Friendly
Dominique
do

Pontoux France

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:25:09 PM »
Lesley,

As soon as I saw the title I realised the same thing.  Even with hand pollinating I didn't get a single pod set this year at all, and usually they set on the ones I don't hand pollinate as well.  Has been quite warm and dry throughout spring though, so that may have affected them as you say.  Because there were no pods forming I hadn't even thought about them.... they were dormant a while back.  Apologies to Frans for not being able to supply.

Thinking about it I had pods on a number of the bulbocodiums etc that aborted, so it might have been temps to hot too early worried them too much.  They're all grown out in the open, not shadehouses or anything, so they get the extremes.  Normally doesn't bother them at all.  I was watching a pod on 'Julia Jane' with interest for a while, then noticed it suddenly shrivel during a hot spell.  I kept the water up to it, but left it in the heat.  You live and learn.

Aplogies again.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »
Narcissus cyclamineus is in this year's seed distribution.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »
Dominique, could you send me your postal address please, privately.

Your Polyxena in about a week's time Anthony.

dominique

• River Dweller
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 10:53:04 PM »
Hi Anthony,
thank you. I hope there is of them a little for me !!! 
do

Pontoux France

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:53 AM »
Out of interest.... how long do N. cyclamineus seed remain viable when stored dry?  I am fairly sure I have a packet of them from last year, but was intending to turf it as I knew they were one of the moisture prefering Narcs.  Thought I had better check in case they may still be viable and useful to someone?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 03:32:14 AM »
For heaven's sake don't throw them out. They'll almost certainly still be viable and well worth sowing.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 05:26:44 AM »
Lesley,

I had in mind that cylamineus seed was very short viability, which was why I asked.  Of course now that I HAVE asked I'll not be able to find my seed now will I??  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 07:46:05 PM »
I don't really know about the length of viability though I have sown N. cyclamineus from my own seed at 10 months old, successfully. But it's like the coat thing isn't it? Better to take it and not need it than need it and not have iot. So better to sow and have nothing come up than not to sow and maybe miss good or some germination.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:31:10 PM »
Your Polyxena in about a week's time Anthony.

Thanks Lesley.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal