We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife June 2011  (Read 9351 times)

scatigaz

Re: Wildlife June 2011
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »
During the 1970s we, as a ringing group in Barnsley, South Yorkshire ringed thousands of Swifts on cool summer days when they had to fly low for insects. We had recoveries in southern Europe and the odd one in Africa. Most impressive for me were the birds that we caught year after year at the local reservoirs. Some of these were well over 10 years old. Have you had any recoveries of your ringed Swifts yet Mark?
gary lee

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Wildlife June 2011
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
No recoveries from mine so far.

I was hoping to mist net all the bangers/non breeders this year. The idea was to put up a net across the garden and catch them as they fly by. They mostly leave the nest boxes via the same route swooping low at head height. I had lined up a guy to come early around 6am. BTO now say swifts cant be caught near nest sites. My breeders leave their nests in a different direction.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal