We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blue poppies  (Read 7529 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Blue poppies
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »
Re name  changes...... it's changed before  it may change again.... I wouldn't hold my breath.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
Hi Steve, great pictures what a difference from last year when we were over all your plants were blown away. I agree with Maggie the name will change again, after 100 years the plant known as M. betonicifolia should now be M. baileyi this is madness and yes I have read Chris Grey Wilsons paper but as yet have no seed or plant material and do not know about any of this new M. betonicifolia. John Mitchell RBGE has shown me pictures very difficult to tell if different. I will attend The Meconopsis Group meeting on Sat 19th maybe some more info??.  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
More information would be appreciated . Thanks Ian . I shouldn't believe everything I read .

In the end I only placed one layer of netting on at 45cm because I'm lazy . We have still lost a few stems where they have broken at the netting level but a better watering pattern seems to have stopped the seed stem rot . We are having another sunny spring so I will feel a lot better once the crop is in . The M.Lingholm are doing very well and the honey bees are pollinating them .

You were here this time last year and this weekend we are off to Mt.Cook again to look at the buttercups . We have permission to go to the R.crithmifolius patch which has R.lyallii growing near it  and hopefully get to Sealy Tarns as well
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Hi Steve. could you hang about for a while so I can contact you via  a medium who can transport my mind to be with you at Mount Cooke, ye I am already mad, cheers Ian the Chrisie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »
You were here this time last year and this weekend we are off to Mt.Cook again to look at the buttercups . We have permission to go to the R.crithmifolius patch which has R.lyallii growing near it  and hopefully get to Sealy Tarns as well

You lucky b-----s!!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
For goodness sake, Steve.... don't forget the camera... we can never get enough photos of that stuff!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 07:21:28 AM »
For goodness sake, Steve.... don't forget the camera... we can never get enough photos of that stuff!

No shortage of cameras Maggie . There are 6 on this mission :-

3 forumists - T00lie , Kiwi and Jandals
1 prospective forumist - Kiwi is bringing him along
1 real live Scot - Shuggie Wood
and my brother Tony . At the Outram School fundraiser auction,someone paid $500 to go tahr hunting with my brother . He is coming on the trip to remind himself what they look like and where they are ( which will be in a completely different direction to us )

Also , if everything has gone to plan , David Lyttle is sheltering in a hut tonight avoiding some inclement weather in deepest, darkest Fiordland . May have pictures next week

Another year of reasearch , hard work and suicidal missions as we prepare for the day that Buttercup King decides to pay a regal visit

Hi Steve. could you hang about for a while so I can contact you via  a medium who can transport my mind to be with you at Mount Cooke, ye I am already mad, cheers Ian the Chrisie kind.

You may have to wait until tomorrow night . I will be much more receptive after a few drams

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
Mine aren't as far advanced as Steves --some are at that bud bursting stage with one or two in full bloom.

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:08:09 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »

Another year of reasearch , hard work and suicidal missions as we prepare for the day that Buttercup King decides to pay a regal visit

Shouldn't that be TWO years, Steve?   :D   ... and by that time I'll be a Pearly King!!!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »
Hi Steve and all the New Zealand maffia, Steve Can I reserve in advance your undivided attention for a few more wild visits to see plants in the mountains.( I will bring an extra large dram) Ann and I intend to come over again, will have to detour via Aus and visit Lisa our daughter not a bad stop over. We would like to come for the conference but if it is 2013 then sorry but Prague has the edge this time. I will keep in touch with the buttercup king maybe he could join us when we come just imagine??, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 09:48:16 AM »
Would love to see you both here again . Stay in touch with the Buttercup King as I have a cunning plan

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »
Ah! The Baldrick of the Forum ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
Yep . I think I could pass as Baldrick if I cleaned my act up a bit

PS thanks for the heads up on Continental Drifters . Really liked Rich Hall on QI
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:04:45 PM by jandals »

maggiepie

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »
I have never seen one of these unbelievably beautiful flowers face to face.
I hope I do before I die.

:(
Helen Poirier , Australia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
I have never seen one of these unbelievably beautiful flowers face to face.
I hope I do before I die. :(

Helen  - You should have a suitable climate for them in eastern New Brunswick.  Here they have to be divided every 3-5 years in very late autumn.  They are usually for sale in a few garden centres here in early Spring and they are snapped up quickly.  I can keep an eye out for one (or however many) if you want.

johnw    - +13c and sprinkling
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal