We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eighth International Rock Garden Conference, 2011  (Read 50330 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Eighth International Rock Garden Conference, 2011
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
An interesting question, Roma..... and one which prompted me to make a search, becasue Ian's  maternal grandparents lived in Beeston, Leeds, and I wondered if there was any connection. There does not seem to be!

From wikipedia, though, comes this:
Origins of the name Beeston
The earliest recorded name given to the area was Bestune. This is now generally thought to be derived from "bes" = rye grass and "tune" a farmstead settlement. The description of local pasture is still preserved in the name of Beeston Rylands. However there are alternative derivations from "Bedestun" = the farm of Bede or (even less probably) from Saint Bees.

In the late nineteenth century, a genteel convention was contrived that the town's name derived from bee.  This would have also been consistent with the notion of Beeston as a "hive of industry". The bee was adopted as the emblem of the town council. Beehives appear carved in the brick of the town hall exterior, and in 1959 three bees were included in the coat of arms adopted by Beeston and Stapleford Urban District Council.
However, as this derivation was known to be dubious, the College of Arms subtly included some long grasses entwined with meadow crocuses in the arms as an alternative visual pun on the more likely origins of the name. With the formation of Broxtowe District (later Borough) Council in 1974, the bees were carried on to its coat of arms, representing Beeston.  The tradition of the bee as symbol continues - the litter bins and other street furniture in the High Road are decorated in black and gold, with a symbol of a bee on each.
There is also a sculpture on the High Road of a man sitting next to a bee hive. Again, this is another reference to the "Bee". The sculpture is popularly known as the "Bee-man", "the man of Beeston", "The Beekeeper" or "Bee King"

So it seems the atrractive Bee man and his sculpture are just public relations tricks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
An interesting question, Roma..... and one which prompted me to make a search, becasue Ian's  maternal grandparents lived in Beeston, Leeds, and I wondered if there was any connection. There does not seem to be!

From wikipedia, though, comes this:
Origins of the name Beeston
The earliest recorded name given to the area was Bestune. This is now generally thought to be derived from "bes" = rye grass and "tune" a farmstead settlement. The description of local pasture is still preserved in the name of Beeston Rylands. However there are alternative derivations from "Bedestun" = the farm of Bede or (even less probably) from Saint Bees..............................

Domesday Book shows modern Beeston as "Bestune" and The Penguin Dictionary of British Place Names gives the same derivation as Maggi outlined above.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »
Thanks Maggi and David.  I thought it a very attractive sculpture.  The beekeeper looks so natural sitting there and there are bees on him , on his hat and on the hedge just like they'd be in real life.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #303 on: May 08, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »
I don't think I accused anyone of gallivanting (though why shouldn't they?) only of being goats or perhaps galoots and I only meant Cliff and David. I thank the Lord they are, as I need the laughs right now.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #304 on: May 08, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
I don't think I accused anyone of gallivanting (though why shouldn't they?) only of being goats or perhaps galoots and I only meant Cliff and David. I thank the Lord they are, as I need the laughs right now.

Pleased to be of assistance Lesley ...  ;D ;D ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal