We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Clivia caulescens  (Read 4003 times)

Heinie

Clivia caulescens
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »
I am not sure if there is any interest in Clivias here but I post a Clivia caulescens flowering now. The first 2 photos are from the current flowers.

The next photo was taken in July when it also flowered.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Clivia caulescens
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »
My goodness, lok at the shine on those flowers! Very smart.... you have a sure way with these plants, Heinie!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:37:21 AM »
Lots of interest I would think Heinie - that's gorgeous!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Heinie

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments ladies.
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »
I hope Jim Sheilds picks up this thread. Lovely.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Heinie

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
David,

Thank you. I call this my habitat Clivia because it is too tall for the shade house. It grows in a pot but it rests against a tree so it does not fall over. Here are more photos of the "habitat" and look at the roots growing out the stem above the pot. Pardon all the photos but you may find it interesting.

I am thinking of splitting the plant in three parts to get it down to a manageable height again. The 1st part will be the top section of the plant with some roots intact. The 2nd part will be the part from growing medium level down and the 3rd part the stump from the middle with roots as an experiment to see if it will grow offsets from the stump. I succeeded with a similar experiment before so wish me luck.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
Oh dear, that sounds a very risky strategy to me..... but I wish you luck if you are brave enough to try it  :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »
Heinie,  good luck!  My caulescens in the greenhouse do not root very well when cut off that way.  For those who have not seen them crawling over the rocks at God's Window in South Africa, they might be surprised at how they sprawl as their stems or trunks get longer.

Right now we have a couple Clivia robusta "MAxima" in bloom inside the greenhouse, but the shade covering has their flowers looking very pale.
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

PeterT

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
Heinie, your Caulsscens is wonderfull! I was given a few Clivias some years ago, would this be C robusta? apologies for the poor picture.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »
Have you heard that they are talking about lumping caulescens, nobilis, gardenii, robusta, and maybe even mirabilis into one species?  Then there would be only two species of Clivia: miniata, and the other, presumably named nobilis.  That ought to start a brawl!  Since the species can still be distinguished by chromosome bands as well as by geographic range, I think we should keep them all.  On the other hand, as they get more extensive DNA sequences for all of these populations, the statistics may make it hard to keep them separately named.
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Ezeiza

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Heinie, great plants as always. Is this one of Christiaan's plants?

I would like to know which medium you grow them in. And, do you grow all your Clivias in it?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Heinie

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
Jim,
Yes, we heard about the DNA tests done by Prof Johan Spies and his team when he gave a talk at the Conference last September. I fins it hard to swallow but let's wait on the final outcome.

Ezeiza,
I am not sure who Christiaan is but I received an offset from a friend a few years ago of this red one. I grow my Clivias in 12mm composted pine bark with 25% compost added. Here is a photo of the bark size.

This one is with seedlings of about 3 months old in the same bark. The seeds were germinated in this bark so they have not been transplanted yet. They will remain there for 15 to18 months in this deep tray with small holes on all the sides and bottom of the tray like in the second photo.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

JoshY46013

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Beautiful plant!   :o

I really like your potting medium, I use a medium very similar for many of my bulbous species, I add a few larger chunks of bark in as well!  Do you grow other plants in this mix?

Heinie

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
Josh,

I grow mostly only the Clivias in the bark but add some of this bark to the medium of my larger bulbs i.e. Crinum, Brunsvigia, Boophone etc. I never discard any of my growing medium because my soil at home is a heavy clay therefore I have to collect sand and grit from a river bed.
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal