We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2011  (Read 59993 times)

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Re: Iris and some Irids 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
can i ask if anybody recieved iris humils seed off the SRGC Seedex,the reason i ask is mine didn't have an aril and was wondering does it?

probably this could help:

http://www.signa.org/index.pl?Display+Iris-humilis+3

So I. humilis doesn`t belong to Arils, it belongs to section Psammiris

Gerhard,

I would classify it as an aril.  One of the four families: oncocyclus, regelia, psaudoregelia and psammiris.  Apparently, all families a partially fertile in crosses with each other, although, agreed, psammiris is the farthest relative.

Jamie

It is new for me, that Psammiris is a member of Arils. Do you know about a man made intersectional hybrid with a member of Psammiris ? It would be great to get a pict. I´m mainly a collector of pure species, so I don`t know about such a hybrid.
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »
We've seen 'em before during your lecture Art, but we can never get enough of them !!  ;D
Magnificent pictures !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »
Gerhard,

unfortunately, no.  I am planning on attempting such hybrids in the coming years, to recreate some purported hybrids.  I have to get the Psammiris to adulthood, first.  Currently, I have only humilis and hopefully bloudowii comming along.  Also, if you reference Köhlein's book, he places the Psammiris under the genus sub-section Regelia.  Same chromosome count, but I don't know if this is enough evidence to submerge them into Regelia.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

PeterT

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »
Jamie, Gerhard, I believe there were some registerd hybreds but I have forgotten their names, I could find out if  anyone is desperate for them though.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Regelian

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
Peter,

most kind, but I'm not that far along.  I did make a list of purported fertile crosses, but can't find it on the computer.  If you run across something over time, do let me know.  Just no real rush.  ;)

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »
The term "aril" was originally coined by Lloyd Austin, and intended to include oncocyclus, regelia, psammiris, and pseudoregelia. Some years ago, however, the Aril Society International narrowed the definition to oncocyclus and regelia only.

There was a great interest in the psammirises around the middle of the last century. A number of intersection hybrids were produced, mostly with dwarf bearded (I. lutescens cutlivars), but also a few with regelias. I don't believe any of these are still in cultivation.

Although the psammirises will cross with bearded irises, oncos, and regelias, the resulting hybrids are sterile or nearly so. This group is quite isolated, unlike the oncos and regelias which can be interbred indefinitely.

Tom
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 11:22:54 PM »
Those are quite stunning Arthur :o
Thank you for showing them.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Regelian

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
The term "aril" was originally coined by Lloyd Austin, and intended to include oncocyclus, regelia, psammiris, and pseudoregelia. Some years ago, however, the Aril Society International narrowed the definition to oncocyclus and regelia only.

There was a great interest in the psammirises around the middle of the last century. A number of intersection hybrids were produced, mostly with dwarf bearded (I. lutescens cutlivars), but also a few with regelias. I don't believe any of these are still in cultivation.

Although the psammirises will cross with bearded irises, oncos, and regelias, the resulting hybrids are sterile or nearly so. This group is quite isolated, unlike the oncos and regelias which can be interbred indefinitely.

Tom

Thanks for the infos, Tom,

I'm hoping to recreate and go a bit further in this direction, mainly just to see.  As you say, these previous crosses are most likely lost to cultivation.  Do you know if any were brought to the tetraploid level, as amphidiploids?

welcome on board.  You're gonna like love this group.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Jamie.

No, none were raised to tetraploidy. This was mostly Walter Welch in the 1940s and others of that era, interested in breeding dwarf bearded. This was before the theory of amphidiploids was publicized, and before people started using colchicine on irises.

I wish you success in working with them; they've been neglected recently, since those initial forays did not pan out as expected, and since the Aril Society disowned them.

I planted I. bloudowii seeds this year, and am keeping a lookout for I. humilis. I think it would be interesting to cross the available species, and see what range of variation emerges.

BTW, although early counts of arenaria and flavissima showed 2n=22, later counts of various psammiris species have shown various chromosome numbers. Some are reported on the AIS Iris Encyclopedia. I don't think anyone really has a clear picture of these irises' affinities or evolutionary relationships yet.
Tom Waters

USDA zone 6

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
FWIW, I compiled a list of all registered psammiris derivatives when I worked on the Checklist of Arilbred Dwarf and Medians for the MIS. Here they are:

Arenaphylla    Gay Flirt       Pumar Alpha
Bricky    Glow Gleam       Pumar Beta
Bronya    Jenny       Sunaire
Buster Brown    Keepsake       Tampa
Butter Ball    Mist o’ Pink       Tiny Treasure
Cream Tart    Morning Light       Ylo
Cup and Saucer    Promise

(sorry about the formatting)
Tom Waters

USDA zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »
Wonderful the coincidences that appear in life, isn't it? In another Forum page, Great Moravian gave a link to a new Czech publication......

Quote from: Great Moravian on Today at 02:58:43 PM
Images of a few Patagonian plants in the latest issue of the
Klub skalničkářů Brno publication Skalničkářův rok
http://www.skalnicky-brno.cz/doc/pr63.doc

And what should I find there but a photo of a plant recently mentioned here... Iris bloudowii ... listed in the paper as  Iris bloudovii..... enjoy!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 09:11:47 PM »
Superb pictures Arthur!! Thanks for showing them here!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »

Are you able to give names of any of these hybrids Tom? I seem to remember something of the kind from my early Iris days (joined NZIS about 1960 I think) and there are a lot of irises still in gardens here whose origins and names have been forgotten by the trade at least. Some names could be familiar to me and the irises still could be grown here. They would have been imported from the USA probably or from the UK.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »
Gosh, I just looked at the link from Great Moravian and am stunned by the Patagonian pictures there. Names and plants to make one believe in God!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »
Sorry, I've been leapfrogging a little and missed a couple of posts. Tom, the list you give in post #1511, are these the crosses I'm asking about in reply #1514? If so, some are definitely still in cultivation here in New Zealand.

I myself have Bricky, Keepsake, Mist o' Pink, Tiny Treasure, Cream Tart and Cup and Saucer. I know Buster Brown, Morning Light and Promise are still around but I don't know the others.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:03:36 PM by Lesley Cox »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal