We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus reginae-olgae  (Read 54508 times)

snowdropman

Re: Galanthus reginae-olgae
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
Some images of Galanthus reginae-olgae seen last week in the Taigetos Mountains in the Peloponnese. 

Melvyn - many thanks for posting, always good to see them growing in their natural habitat. Great pictures - particularly liked that fabulous clump in No 9, must have been quite something to see close up.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
Lovely to see them in their natural habitat Melvyn, I love those pale ones (1 & 3) - they look so delicate.  Awful to think that they are being taken and such sights will not be seen again :-\
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Roma

« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2009, 11:09:22 PM »
Galanthus reginae-olgae ssp. corcyrensis flowering now.
An earlier flower had a 'window' so I could see the marking when it was too cold for the flower to open. ;D
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
How good of the slugs to give you such a convenient window!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Roma

« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
Galanthus reginae-olgae (corcyrensis) has emerged still flowering from the melting snow.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
Galanthus reginae-olgae (corcyrensis) has emerged still flowering from the melting snow.

Roma - No problems flowering reginae-olgae in cool summer Scotland?  There was an article in the Daffodil Yearbook on the problems growing and flowering it in Bergen and solutions.

I have hesitated to try it out here, operhaps I should take the plunge this year.  Any tips?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Roma

« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
John,
When I went to work in the Cruickshank Garden in Aberdeen in 1977 there were two forms of Galanthus reginae-olgae growing there.  One form flowers in October and needs a dry sunny spot. I do still have it at home but it doesn't do very well.  The form pictured was called corcyrensis till Aaron Davis did his PhD.  It starts flowering in November and can keep going till February.  At the Cruickshank it grows in a south facing bed near a large birch tree so would be fairly dry in summer (in the years when we get one).  The bulbs increase well and spread also by seed.  In my own garden it is at the back of the house and gets no sun most of the time it is in growth and does not dry out too much in summer.  If you can find corcyrensis rather than reginae-olgae I think it is well worth a try.  I expect the galanthophiles will correct me on taxonomy if I have got it wrong.     

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2010, 03:49:12 AM »
Thanks for the report Roma.  Sounds like they're worth a try.  I have corcyrensis and even a pot of seedlings coming up since Christmas. 

johnw +1c at midnight.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal