We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula minima  (Read 2426 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Primula minima
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
In one of the International Rock Gardener there is a photo of a ground hugging P. minima in full sun. When I bought mine I was told to give it half shade. They are 5cm / 2cm high. They obviously need more sun. The trough they are in gets full sun from now as the sun moves east, as spring progresses, but the sun moves to the front of the house around 10.30am.

Where should they be grown? When can I take cuttings?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Primula minima
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:06:43 AM »
Mark,
I would give it a fair bit of light. If you've had it a while (and in semi-shade) I'd make the move gradually. Cuttings (Irishman's cuttings?) I'd wait with until the plant has some size. Then tease apart a rosette or two.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
You can do true cuttings in late summer or what I take to be Irishman's cuttings (small rosettes pulled away will some root) in late summer or through autumn. I find it flowers best in sun but does not like to be "cooked" through the summer and autumn. A cool root run, like between rocks, is a good isea.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:49:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

I read today that it likes lime and a cool root run so I'll pull some stems and plant them in my crevice and along the edge of my tufa block.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal