We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Confirm Variety please  (Read 1518 times)

PeterHA

• frenchweb.eu
Confirm Variety please
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
Hello
We have had a house in the Limousin (France) since 2004 and moved her last April and every spring we have an amazing display of coloured primulas.  I think they are sibthorpii but would like it confirmed if possible.  We have five colours, white, yellow, pale blue, blue and pinky red.  I have enclosed one or two photos and look forward to any replies.

Peter

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Confirm Variety please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Hello Peter,  a warm welcome to the Forum.

What delightful primulas to have on your property.
I would say they are sibthorbii..... and in good heart, too. Lovely!

We'd love to see pix of any other flowers, too, of course.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

John Richards

• check out www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Nort
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:01:56 PM »
Yes, these are Primula vulgaris subspecies sibthorpii, and some good forms. The variation in colour is typical of many wild populations, for instance on Vermion in northern Greece. However, this form will not be native in France, and must be the result of an introduction, perhaps from a garden. Often pink colours in P. vulgaris comes from hybridisation with nearby garden P. x polyantha, but there is no suggestion of this here. I am showing one of the better forms of sibthorpii in my own garden which is very like the nearest one in your photo. I am told forms like this can be found in the Crimea.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:09:38 PM »
What I know best about Limousin, is their beautiful tan coloured cattle, which turn up every week (suitably processed) at my Farmers' Market. The beef is tender and tasty, and low cholesterol!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal