We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2011  (Read 74721 times)

Matt

Re: Paeonia 2011
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
This is the first flower on a seedling P rockii. Raised from seed - thank you Hans. The flower is quite big and is at least 9 ins or 22cm across which took me by surprise when I found it open

Was one of the parents P. linyanshanii or P. ostii (Feng Dan Bai)? Really beautiful!...and somehow similar to the first seedling shown by "Swiss" Hans...which i think has P. linyanshanii as parent.

Matt

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »
This is the first flower on a seedling P rockii. Raised from seed - thank you Hans. The flower is quite big and is at least 9 ins or 22cm across which took me by surprise when I found it open

Was one of the parents P. linyanshanii or P. ostii (Feng Dan Bai)? Really beautiful!...and somehow similar to the first seedling shown by "Swiss" Hans...which i think has P. linyanshanii as parent.

Matt

Thanks Matt but I can't help with possible parentage as these plants were raised from seed from Hans J as rockii perhaps he will comment as I do not know whether these were open pollinated or not. Anyway isn't linyanshanii a subspecies of rockii?   I have 3 other rockiis from various sources including a small layer from a well known parent plant and all seem to differ in some way  except for the purple blotch at the base of the petals. This plant is currently growing on my allotment at present and will definitely be transplanted to the garden.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2011, 05:49:37 AM »

Matt

Thanks Matt but I can't help with possible parentage as these plants were raised from seed from Hans J as rockii perhaps he will comment as I do not know whether these were open pollinated or not. Anyway isn't linyanshanii a subspecies of rockii?   I have 3 other rockiis from various sources including a small layer from a well known parent plant and all seem to differ in some way  except for the purple blotch at the base of the petals. This plant is currently growing on my allotment at present and will definitely be transplanted to the garden.

Ian + Matt

I have just seen your picture of this wonderful P.rockii seedling ( grown from my seed )
I have not pollinate with P.linyanshanii ......because my own ( selfgrown ) P.linyanshanii ( seeds from USA ) have flowered here for the first time in year 2009 - this seeds was from selfed pollinatet flowers.

The mother plant from where comes this seeds is from a german plantfriend -I know nothing about the provenace.....it is possibly that they has a bit of P.linyanshanii blood because the habit is different from all my other P.rockii plants -it has only few strong stems ( we call this in german : sparrig...but I dont know a translation ) and is very big ( near 2 m ) -the flowers are big ...but not so big as my own P.linyansanii

Sorry for answering not earlier to this point ...but it is near impossibly to read all here in this forum -but if anyone has a question so please send me a PM ...and I will answer soon

Good luck with your plant
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2011, 06:10:53 AM »

Matt

Matt :
what you mean ?
...I'm not from Swiss ...I live in south western germany ( close the border to Swiss ) ...do you mean Lukas H. ?

Ciao
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »

Matt

Thanks Matt but I can't help with possible parentage as these plants were raised from seed from Hans J as rockii perhaps he will comment as I do not know whether these were open pollinated or not. Anyway isn't linyanshanii a subspecies of rockii?   I have 3 other rockiis from various sources including a small layer from a well known parent plant and all seem to differ in some way  except for the purple blotch at the base of the petals. This plant is currently growing on my allotment at present and will definitely be transplanted to the garden.

Ian + Matt

I have just seen your picture of this wonderful P.rockii seedling ( grown from my seed )
I have not pollinate with P.linyanshanii ......because my own ( selfgrown ) P.linyanshanii ( seeds from USA ) have flowered here for the first time in year 2009 - this seeds was from selfed pollinatet flowers.

The mother plant from where comes this seeds is from a german plantfriend -I know nothing about the provenace.....it is possibly that they has a bit of P.linyanshanii blood because the habit is different from all my other P.rockii plants -it has only few strong stems ( we call this in german : sparrig...but I dont know a translation ) and is very big ( near 2 m ) -the flowers are big ...but not so big as my own P.linyansanii

Sorry for answering not earlier to this point ...but it is near impossibly to read all here in this forum -but if anyone has a question so please send me a PM ...and I will answer soon

Good luck with your plant
Hans

Hans  I am absolutely delighted with the plant - thank you 8)
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Matt

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »

Matt :
what you mean ?
...I'm not from Swiss ...I live in south western germany ( close the border to Swiss ) ...do you mean Lukas H. ?

Ciao
[/quote]

Sorry Hans, sorry Lukas,

Of course I meant Lukas H. the Swiss guy and his rockii linyanshanii hedge!...an example of memory problems at an early age...

Ian's rockii hybrid has probably blood of Feng Dan Bai...that results in the upright bush, in the quite entire/lanceolate leaves and in the red carpels container.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:31:30 PM by Matt »

Matt

« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2011, 01:08:53 AM »
Hi everybody,

The last of the herbaceous species to flower in my garden: P. broteri...few days after P. peregrina.

My father tried an "artistic shoot" but something went wrong! Thank you dad anyway! LOL.

Lukas, next year you should also buy a digital camera for your parents and ask them (I know how difficoult it is!) to take pics of your plants...this way we will be sure to finally see you fantastic (and ephemeral) P. algerensis in flower!

Matt

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Matt,

your dad did well, IMO.  It's nice to see a piece of the bed, to get an idea of the culture.  Beautiful flower in any case.

By the way, where are you?  You haven't posted much in particulars on your header and in signature.  It always helps to know ones climate.

Ciao,

Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Leon

• The messy gardener
    • Heartland Peony Society
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »
Jamie,

I see you have been doing Osti crosses.  Have you tried lutea X osti?  The osti parentage yields plants that hold their flowers well above the plants.  That should help to get better posture from lutea hybridization.

I confess I have tried the cross several times using fertile lutea hybrids such as Alice Harding.  So far seedlings that have bloomed are not yellow.

Leon
I generally only try to grow plants that don't want to grow here.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
Leon,

I have pollinated one flower of ostii with ludlowii, which, depending on the book, is a variety of lutea.  I also, used it to pollinate a huge japanese white, Hakuo-jishi, as well as some rockii hybrids.  In 5 years or so, I'll let you know what happened.  ;) ;D
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lukas H

« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
Paeonia delavayi var. lutea flowering today
Basel area
northwestern part of Switzerland
elevation: 342m
climate zone 8a

Matt

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
Hi Regelian,

I live and work in London but my (parents') garden is in NE Italy. I have added the "Google Map Info" to my profile.

Matt

Leon

• The messy gardener
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
My tree peonies are beginning to bloom well.  Some of my Daphnis hybrids are looking good this year.   Today we are having very high winds from south; not good for the blooms.

Below is Nike and Pluto

Leon

Leon

• The messy gardener
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2011, 02:55:33 AM »
More Daphnis in bloom.
Oread and Maria Teressa

Leon

• The messy gardener
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2011, 03:12:13 AM »
Gauguin (Daphnis)
Leda (Daphnis)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal