We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2011  (Read 74535 times)

Hendrik Van Bogaert

Re: Paeonia 2011
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
Two more images of an other plant of P. turcica in the Rock Garden at Kew and P. obovata in the Woodland Garden.

Matt

Dear Matt,
I have 2 plants with the name P. kesrouanensis. Herewith a new picture of the plant I posted last year. Sometimes I think this plant is a real P. mascula; otherwise the carpels are glabrous and that's typical kesrouanensis.
The second picture is probably true P. turcica; in my opinion it resembles the Kew plants you show us. Unfortunately the plant is not flowering this year, but I can say that the flowers are very dark red.
Hendrik

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
Herewith a picture of today: the lovely Paeonia coriacea!

Matt

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »
Dear Hendrik,

Thank you for your comments.
Now that I see a more "adult" picture of your P. kesrouanensis (the first plant) I am actually more convinced about its similarity to the plant at Kew. The Kew plant comes from the Antalya Province, which is apparently the north-western boundary for this species. I am not sure whether I will have time to go to Kew again this week to take more picture, but I can tell you that after about 5-7 days the colour of the petals fades quite a lot, getting exactly the same shades showed by the flowers of your plant. The leaves become almost blue/gray and the stems loose almost completely the reddish coloration. 

I also grow P. kesrouanensis, I have two plants, one from an English nursery and one from a Dutch nursery, both allegedly from wild seeds, although without a precise provenance... None has flowered yet, but both have leaves very similar to your first plant.
What description/provenance did you get when you acquired your two plants (or seeds)?

I am really surprised that your plants in Belgium are already so far! P. coriacea at Kew and at Highdown are just few centimeters above the ground! Is your peony bed in a very mild spot of your garden or do you shelter your plants with a cold frame?

I look forward to more images from your collection.

Matt

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
Dear Hendrik,

Thank you for your comments.
Now that I see a more "adult" picture of your P. kesrouanensis (the first plant) I am actually more convinced about its similarity to the plant at Kew. The Kew plant comes from the Antalya Province, which is apparently the north-western boundary for this species. I am not sure whether I will have time to go to Kew again this week to take more picture, but I can tell you that after about 5-7 days the colour of the petals fades quite a lot, getting exactly the same shades showed by the flowers of your plant. The leaves become almost blue/gray and the stems loose almost completely the reddish coloration.  

I also grow P. kesrouanensis, I have two plants, one from an English nursery and one from a Dutch nursery, both allegedly from wild seeds, although without a precise provenance... None has flowered yet, but both have leaves very similar to your first plant.
What description/provenance did you get when you acquired your two plants (or seeds)?

I am really surprised that your plants in Belgium are already so far! P. coriacea at Kew and at Highdown are just few centimeters above the ground! Is your peony bed in a very mild spot of your garden or do you shelter your plants with a cold frame?

I look forward to more images from your collection.

Matt

Dear Matt and of course other peony lovers,
Yes, my garden is always very early, probably because he is protected by hedges all around.
I grow the peonies from South-Europe in raised beds and  protected with cold frames especially during summer; our summers here in Belgium are really to wet!
Today starts P. tomentosa flowering. I have received this plant in 2003, only a very small piece of a collection done in Azerbaijan; after 8 years of care and patience you can see now the result: ::)
New name: Peaonia daurica ssp. tomentosa (leaves densely villose on the lower surface)
Hendrik
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:21:50 PM by Hendrik Van Bogaert »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »
Truly stunning plants and pictures Hendrik !!!  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
Truly stunning plants and pictures Hendrik !!!  :o :o

Hi Belgium friend, here are the pictures again.
Hendrik

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
Today flowers a second plant: Paeonia mascula ssp. russoi; I received this plant under the invalid name Paeonia reversonii.
New name ( Hong De-Yuan) is now Paeonia corsica. By this species are the leaves again densely villose beneath.
Very beautiful form! Look to the purple stems....
Hendrik

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
I grow some peonies but they are of course not so advanced here as yours.
While waiting for the earliest to flower I wonder if somebody can tell me the names of these from China?

280756-0    280758-1
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
I grow some peonies but they are of course not so advanced here as yours.
While waiting for the earliest to flower I wonder if somebody can tell me the names of these from China?

(Attachment Link)     (Attachment Link)

I think P. obovata; there are 2 subspp: ssp obovata (leaves mostly glabrous on lower surface) and ssp. wilmottiae (densely hispid on lower surface).
Hendrik

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »
Thanks Hendrik. Have to check when leaves unfurl!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Matt

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
Dear Hendrik,

Great gardener, great plants and great pictures.

Good photographs of plants from known wild parentage and with an exact provenance are better than a botany treaty.

Thank you very much for your post....I am still greedy for MORE!

Matt

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 09:37:54 AM »
Paeonia emodi unfurling, in a firework way!
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 07:14:28 AM »
Paeonia emodi unfurling, in a firework way!

Very nice!
Is really one of the best paeony!
Is it the wild plant or the hybrid 'Early windflower/Late wildflower.
The latest set never seeds and grwos very well; the wild species is not so vigorous and very susceptible to late frost...(here in Belgium).
Hendrik

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Thanks Hendrik! I assume it is the wild one, but cannot be sure...I got it from a german nursery, Hügin, in Freiburg-am-Breisgau. I will go there again by end April, and will ask Ewald about its origin.
A true silk beauty, anyway.
I planted it in half shade, as I read from various sources that it was its preferred location, and that it lasted longer there than in full sun. However, I've seen another similar plant, bought by a friend at the same time from the same nursery, but planted in full sun. Her plant is already much more developped, and has nore shoots. So I'm wondering if I was right...what would you recommend?
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

galanthophile

• Webshots album
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
Some fantastic peonies on here and the season has hardly started. I can't wait to see these when they are in flower. I started off (like most people I suppose) with the hybrids but I find myself more and more attracted to the species. I find that is the case now with most of my plants. I have vetchii, a tiny plant of x handel-mazzettii. Does anyone have a picture of that flower? I also have a 17 year old plant of mlokosewitchii which has 9 buds this year.
Gal-Ann-thophile! from Newcastle in North East England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal