We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Kent Show 2011  (Read 1553 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
AGS Kent Show 2011
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:40:39 AM »
A 7am knock at my door was the start to my Saturday.  I had agreed once again to help man the AGS plant sale stall at the Kent Show, Rainham.  A quick 10 minute drive to the venue and we were greeted by a hive of activity with Nurseries setting up their stands and exhibitors busy with tiny brushes and pairs of nail scissors making their show plants look as perfect as possible.  Unfortunately I had managed to double book yesterday so I had to rush away from the show at 11am to get to the a theatre for a different kind of show in the afternoon, which was equally enjoyable.   :D

Here are some pictures of plants that attracted my attention in the morning before judging started - sorry I have no idea what achieved a prize.  :-\

1 - The Luc's managed to be some of the first visitors to arrive after a 5am start from Belgium (4am UK time)
2 - Final preperations to the show plants
3 - Dionysia
4 - Dionysia bryoides
5 - Dionysia MK0353/2
6 - Dionysia adrastea
7 - Dionysia aretioides 'Susan Hale'
8 - Class 14
9 - Asarum maximum
10 - Asarum delavayi

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
Re: AGS Kent Show 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:48:51 AM »
Some more nice looking specimens.   :P

1 - Fritillaria carica
2 - Fritillaria aurea
3 - Fritillaria aurea JJA491-810
4 - Fritillaria davidii
5 - Tulipa kurdica
6 - Tulip ancilla
7 - Sempervivum cilosum var borisii
8 - Primula marginata caerulea
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:56:16 AM »
And the final few I hurriedly managed to take between selling, shopping, selling, eating (a rather tasty bacon and melted cheese bagel  :P) and chatting.

1 - Cyclamen coum 'Pewter group'
2 - Draba longisiliqua
3 - Iris x graeberiana
4 - Narcisus watieri (wow    :P)
5 - Pleione formosana 'Kate'
6 - Primula
7 - Primula allionii 'Mary Berry'

That's all from me folks.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:00:17 AM by KentGardener »
John

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »
Goodness me John, you had a busy day.... and all fueled only by a bacon and cheese bagel.... remarkable  :o

Looks to be  another grand show... more plants than we saw in Dunblane, but with a bigger catchment area and further south where spring is seemingly well -sprung I suppose that is to be expected.

I love the overall shots of the hall... really captures the sheer breadth of colour to be enjoyed, then the close-ups show us the individual perfection of the show plants. Great fun, thanks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »

1 - The Luc's managed to be some of the first visitors to arrive after a 5am start from Belgium (4am UK time)

You seem to have caught us by surprise there John !   ;D ;D  ;D
I have to admit that a first tray of newly acquired little gems had already been taken to the car by the time you took the picture !  ;)
It was great seeing you and the other friends again and the show was truly excellent !!
I took some pix as well but I have to sort them out first - I'll try and post some more later !

For starters, just the Farrer medal winner from Nigel Fuller. : the amazingly gigantic pot of Narcissus Watieri  :o :o :o

You already posted it John, but I think it does deserve a repeat !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

angie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »
John looks as if it was a great show. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Like those Asarum  8)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal