We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: East Lancs/Whitworth AGS Show 19th March.  (Read 10512 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: East Lancs/Whitworth AGS Show 19th March.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
And here is the forum's own Veteran Vet, he looks a very happy winner of the raffle.  Traditionally at East Lancs show, the top prize is a super Simnel cake made by Hilary Price.  Was there any left by the time you got home, George?   
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »
Since at the East Lancs Show we have to remain at our posts during the whole day and cannot repair to the pub for lunch I can only report this item secondhand.  It was reported to me that someone (a forumist) was enjoying 'HANKY PANKY with Diane in the pub at lunchtime.  I don't want to mention any names in such a public place but the "GENTLEMAN" concerned might have had to remove his dummy on this occasion. 
Just to get the facts right here.  There were actually at least three so-called "gentlemen" indulging in Hanky Panky in the pub.  There may well have been others, I didn't notice.

You are actually making this sound worse, Di ... !   :o
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »
Since at the East Lancs Show we have to remain at our posts during the whole day and cannot repair to the pub for lunch I can only report this item secondhand.  It was reported to me that someone (a forumist) was enjoying 'HANKY PANKY with Diane in the pub at lunchtime.  I don't want to mention any names in such a public place but the "GENTLEMAN" concerned might have had to remove his dummy on this occasion. 
Just to get the facts right here.  There were actually at least three so-called "gentlemen" indulging in Hanky Panky in the pub.  There may well have been others, I didn't notice.

You are actually making this sound worse, Di ... !   :o
Oh, I dunno... I have said how talented she is........ :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 10:09:22 AM »
George does look pleased with his  cake prize, doesn't  he.... but look at the cake... who wouldn't be delighted to wind such a feast?

I can't help feeling that with a top prize like that a lot more raffle tickets are sold  :D

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
May I, as chairman of the ELG, thank all the members who contributed to yesterdays show at Whitworth.
We were blessed with great weather, beautiful plants and a really warm and friendly atmosphere all day, but it is only because of the many group members who started at 6.00 am and kept going all day that it was such a success.
The kitchen was busy all the time, with bacon an sausage oven bottom cakes, potato pie peas and red cabbage, and over 350 cups of tea and coffee.
If I tell you that, having closed the show a little before 4.00 pm, the hall was completely cleared by a quarter to five!
A great day and much appreciated, thanks again to Show Secretary Carol and everyone involved.
JohnnyD.

John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »
While waiting for the pics of the plants why not take a look at a class which is very close to my heart. Minigardens,
In yesterdays show there were five gardens - two of which were seen for the first time.
We had two gardens, including one in a broken pot which many felt was worthy of the first sticker, from Mick & Mandy McLoughlin.
Another garden, seen for the first time, was from Peter Hood who has not shown a minigarden before. Great effort Peter - keep going.
Here's to seeing many more exhibitors trying their hand at a class which attracts such a lot of public attention.
Keep 'em coming guys.
JohnnyD.

John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »
By jove..... look at those magnificent little gardens shown above and then tell me you have no room for a garden!  :o 8)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:33 PM »
Superb mini's there.  Hope we see more of them on Saturday next....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
You can see a little more of them here Chris ... thanks to John for posting his images of these beautiful creations.
The same gardens are repeated here, but as slightly larger images (when clicked), so that interested members can better appreciate the craft and artistry employed to create them. John, you have proved the inspiration for many of these mini-gardeners and your prize winning garden at East Lancs will, without doubt, inspire others via the world wide web.

John Dower and Peter Hood discussing the finer points of mini-gardening.
Four gardens in the Open Section
One garden in the intermediate Section
Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
Another class (this time exclusive to East Lancashire) that always excites interest and captures the imagination of the public and exhibitors alike is:- 'One pan containing three rock plants for colour effect (in flower or foliage mixed)'.
Some wonderful entries yesterday and here are some of the finest examples:-

Special class and entries for same.

The winner was the final image exhibited by Diane Clement ... even after all that Hanky Panky! (See above).
Cliff Booker

vivienr

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
Two new minigardens... now I'm really cross that I didn't go.
I had been out in that direction on Friday, dropping off my son and his bike for a training ride near Hebden Bridge and then spent far too much money at Slack Top and Gordon Riggs. Could not trust myself with the temptation of all those nursery sales tables.

I can vouch for the tastiness of the prize cake as I won it last year (Maggi, I really think we need a 'scoffing' smiley :):P:))
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

veteran vet

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
First things first, George was delighted with the cake, a magnificent beats but now half as delighted as Mrs Y was when she sawit....believe it or not she actually had her recipe book out reading up the recipe for simnel cake with plans to bake one next week when I arrived home....book went quickly back to shelf. Special thanks to Mrs Price for her exact instructions on how to keep till Easter

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »

I can vouch for the tastiness of the prize cake as I won it last year (Maggi, I really think we need a 'scoffing' smiley :):P:))

I remember that win, too, Vivien.
Here are some scoffing  smileys... mostly to do with chocolate  ::)

276725-1

276726-2

veteran vet

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
I did not take too many pictures yesterday as I saw there was many happy snapper forumists with cameras at ready but as only a few pictures posted so far thought I would do a few to start the others into action
Pulsatilla 'Budapest Strain' from Geoff Rollinson...really good plant, delicate blue...went up for Farrer
Scilla bifolia 'Norman Stephens'....Robert Rolfe
Tommy Anderson & Cliff Booker share views on the judging

veteran vet

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
Andrsace muscoidea ....Brian Burrow
Callianthemum anemenoides...John Richards...set off by coal used as gravel. On any other day would have won its class but came up against the pulsatilla
Corydalis solida 'Craigton Scarlet'....Don Peace...a long way from its Aberdeen birth place

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal