We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blackpool SRGC Show  (Read 13657 times)

Palustris

Blackpool SRGC Show
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
Off to the seaside. Saturday 12th March. Hopefully the lighting is better there and many of the same plants will have survived to be shown again. See you there?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Blackpool SRGC Show
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
Saturday 12th March  not only has the SRGC/AGS Blackpool Show but also the AGS Bedfordshire Group's 24th Annual Show  at the Wilstead Village Hall, Cotton End Road, Wilstead, MK45 3BX.

A choice for some lucky forumists to make.... too far for me in Aberdeen.... I'm not really envious.... I'm just a little green round the edges.... :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »
I'm in Hull :o
Nick
North Warwickshire

Graham Catlow

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
I should be at the Blackpool show on Saturday so I thought I would, (for a limited period only), change my avatar to show myself. So if you see me and would like to have a chat you will know what I look like. On the other hand, now you know what I look like you will be able to avoid me too. ;)  The photo is a couple of years old but I still look as young and charming as I did when it was taken.

I promise I will return my avatar to the better looking Dexter on Sunday :)
Bo'ness. Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
I'm in Hull :o

Suppose someone has to be!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
It's worse than that David... I'm in Pontefract on Friday and I don't even like liquorice
Nick
North Warwickshire

Darren

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
Susan and I will be at Blackpool as it is our local group which hosts it and we have both been volunteered for jobs on the day...

I am likely to be spending much of my time on the members plants stall (grumpy looking bloke in his 40s in a tweed jacket, and if previous years standing out in that atrium are anything to go by, woolly gloves and a bobble hat). If this description is not enough I will probably be wearing the forumists badge Johnny Dower made for us at the discussion weekend two years ago.

Susan will be one of those running the computer in the show hall. I won't describe her as I could not, of course, do her justice.  ;)  She does not look like the bumble bee she uses for her avatar though.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:53:28 AM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »
It's worse than that David... I'm in Pontefract on Friday and I don't even like liquorice

I bet you'd have a job to find any these days.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »
Just learned from another thread that there is yet another show being held on the 12th March..the Tunbridge wells group will be holding their annual show at King Charles the Martyr Hall, Warwick Park Tunbridge wells, open to the public from 12 30pm till 4 00 pm.

Lots of choice for the English members to attend even if they can't get as far north as Blackpool!

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »

I bet you'd have a job to find any these days.

Haribo is still in Pontefract David.
And of course there is always:
http://www.experiencewakefield.co.uk/thedms.aspx?dms=13&feature=1001&venue=2190309

The Liquorice festival
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »
I think that the majority of Liquorice is imported from places like Australia these day Mick.  ALthough there maybe one or two who still grow it in their gardens ... I think it's related to the Ginger family not sure
Nick
North Warwickshire

Darren

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
Just returned from Blackpool where 10 of us have been setting up for tomorrows show. Thought you might like to see the process which seems to be quicker each year - we have all been doing this for so long we are a quite well-oiled machine now!

Picture 1: we all arrived about 4pm (though we did pass Show Secretary Lionel Clarkson already putting posters on lamp posts in the pouring rain on the main road!).

Picture 2: Then the tables arrived.

Picture 3: The cloths go on. You can just make out Syd Cumbus arranging his usual photographic display in the background.

Picture 4: Just one hour later the tables are ready so it is time for a brew!

Picture 5: Peter Bland, Lionel Clarkson, Syd Cumbus, Jim & Wilma Wright, Gill Clarkson.

Picture 6: Gill Clarkson, Susan Sleep, Frank Hoyle, Tony Taziker, Peter Bland. This is all the crew except me but you already know what I look like  ;D

Picture 7: 6pm and Wilma and Jim are putting out the classes and cards.

Hope to see lots of you tomorrow but we hear parts of Scotland are having a touch of winter again! Take care if traveling.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
Good to see exactly what work there needs to be done to get the hall set- up, Darren. Some folks think all that stuff gets done by magic, you know!

Jean and Glassford have abandoned their plan to come down... the first year they've missed attending in living memory, I think.... but the forecast for the south of Scotland is pretty awful and it's not sensible to risk it.
I hope the weather won't be too bad and some will make it down to enjoy the usual fun of the day but you all know that our best wishes are with you whether or not we're there in the flesh!

Darren

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »
Really sorry to hear that Maggi, but better safe than sorry. I hope we can catch up with them in Hexham.

Apparently this is not so much of a joint show this year as so far we only have one exhibitor from north of the border! But then it has been another winter we will all be glad to see the end of!

I thank you for your comment about the work involved in setting up and running a show - if it was not for these folks our beloved shows would not happen.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:23:11 PM »
The weather forcast has put me off too.
Will just have to hope there are plenty of photos posted to show what we have missed.
Good luck to the team and the exhibitors.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal