We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Loughborough AGS Show March 5th 2011  (Read 6786 times)

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
Re: Loughborough AGS Show March 5th 2011
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
right then Hope Maggi doesn't mind.

Quick answer to the white balance problem.  You could try one of these Diane
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=lens+caps&x=0&y=0 it replaces the normal lens cap and you take a photo with it on and adjust acordingly - neat huh

The other way (I did it and I can only speak for PS elements 9) is to go into guided edit and there is one called remove colour cast click on that and then go to your picture and click on something that should be white or black ( name label is usually good) and it will compensate for the sodium lighting. (it took longer to do this demo of the two shots than to correct it!) top ones before and the bottom is after.

Nick
North Warwickshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
right then Hope Maggi doesn't mind.

Quick answer to the white balance problem.  You could try one of these Diane
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=lens+caps&x=0&y=0 it replaces the normal lens cap and you take a photo with it on and adjust acordingly - neat huh

Nick, looking at the item in the link... I see a name across the lens cap.... doesn't this show in the photo? Also, if using this device what other adjustment is needed afterwards?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »
Maggi,
You take an initial picture with the lens cap on, then the camera uses this to set a customised white balance for the lighting - click on the 'more information about this product' link on the website, which goes into a bit more detail.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
Thanks Peter... will read further.  :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »
To expand on my earlier reply (I'm posting from work, between patients  :D )
Most cameras, even the little compacts, will have a custom white balance setting somewhere in the menu, so you find that you generally have the option of taking a test shot which is then applied to subsequent shots until you turn the white balance back to auto (or wherever you noramly have it). So I would expect you would take the test shot with the lens cap on and then you're all set to fire away.

I did something similar for Bill Robinson on his new camera at Loughborough on Saturday - it was so new he hadn't had time to read the instruction book!

Of course to make the problem worse at Loughborough, one side of the hall is a range of windows, so I find that you noramlly have to reset the white balance for each row of tables on a sunny days there; not a problem this time as the weather was miserable.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »
Never mind the cakes....first training session of the season for Pudsey piglets :D :D :D :D
Yippee  ;D  ;D

I understand this will culminate with an event at the Cheshire/Macclesfield Show for which we'll return to England (from Ireland not Australia ;D ) to try to rise to the challenge! We'll be practising with good Scottish and Irish "Full Breakfasts" on the way!

Peter and Nick,
I see I'll need to re-investigate my camera's abilities before getting to the Conference and these Shows!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Martinr

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »
Ah, a challenge from the deep South! Look forward to meeting you Fermi

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal