We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: what is Seramis  (Read 6222 times)

jes

what is Seramis
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
Hi
Does anyone tell me what "Seramis" is?
 I have found out that it is something "claygranulate" of a sort - but what are the attributes?.
 I've tried to find "Seramis" in Denmark, but without result.
 Can anyone tell me if there is something with the same characteristics I can use and which I might find in the DK.

Smile
Jes
Copenhagen - Denmark

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: what is Seramis
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
Hello,
read about Seramis here http://www.seramisuk.co.uk/whatisseramis.html. It is made in Germany. I would have thought you should be able to get it locally or import it.

If you can't get it in Denmark, you can try pumice.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

jes

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
thanks Maren
 Now I know what it is and what it does, so I have a solution - a thousand thanks to you.
Smile
Jes
Copenhagen - Denmark

Darren

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »
Many of us in the UK are now using an alternative sold as cat litter. This is almost identical provided you choose a brand which specifies it is 'calcined moler clay' it is usually orange/pink in colour and has a slightly smaller particle size than 'Seramis', as well as being much less expensive. I was using the brand sold by Wilkinson shops in the UK but I am told that the Tesco one is the same only cheaper, I note that Wilkinson in Lancaster seem to have stopped stocking it and have replaced it with an unsuitable alternative. It has a scent compound added but this dissipates in a few days. My Fritillaria are now grown in only this material or mixed with a little perlite - they seem to love it.
You may well find something similar where you are.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
Forumists outside the UK who are interested in cat litter as a growing medium may find this site of interest:

http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
Jes,
I have written to Seramis in Germany to enquire about a distributor in Denmark. Their reply indicates that Belgium is the nearest distributor to you:

Guten Tag Frau Talbot,
vielen Dank für Ihre E-mail und Ihr Interesse an unseren Seramis-Produkten. Bitte setzen Sie sich mit unserem Distributor in Belgien in Verbindung:

Creten nv
IZ Brustempark
Lichtenberglaan 2096
3800 Sint-Truiden
Belgium
Tel: (00 32) 11 311 500 Fax: (00 32) 11 311 777

e-mail: info@creten.be

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Elvi Kießling, Mars GmbH
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

jes

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »
thank you everybody
 I will now go into the pet shop and pick up some bags.
 thanks again.

smile
 jes
Copenhagen - Denmark

Darren

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:05 AM »
Thank you for that link Gerry - very interesting and I have bookmarked it.

There are also often detailed discussions on this topic on the British Cactus and Succulent Society forum.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »
Hello,
I think you can buy Seramis easily over the Internet. So I e.g. also get Kanuma.
I use very successfully for decades Seramit for windowsill culture of Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, but also in the Sämlingsaufzucht, eg Cypripedium.
I have some orchids in hanging baskets bar. Normally the window to dry out quickly. The trick, an old sock filled with Seramis in the middle of the basket.
All around normal ground orchids. So I use Seramis a) if I want that everywhere in the pot, there is the same moisture and
b) if I want that the substrate is not as fast drying and c) if I need a sterile substrate with good water management that is still well ventilated .

Greetings
Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal