We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wisley Alpine Log Feedback  (Read 70914 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
Wisley Alpine Log Feedback
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:37:52 PM »
Please use this forum for feedback on the new Wisley Alpine Log. Create as many topics as you wish!  ;)

see also this: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=677.0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 01:14:23 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wisley Alpine Log
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »
Congratulations to Paul and his Wisley Colleagues for this exciting innovation.

I am intriqued by the charming Aptosimum sp. shown....I am unfamiliar with this plant and interested to read the comments about smoke-aided germination. This is a subject that has been raised on this Forum, so obviouslyof interest to us!
Here are two links to "smokey" subjects:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=335.0
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=227.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Wisley Alpine Log
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
It is terrific to see the ongoing work at Wisley.. plenty there to keep the Staff busy... but they are not all keeping so active.. here is a pic of Sunny, the smallest member of staff, and she's certainly asleep on the job!
24371-0

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Wisley Alpine Log Feedback
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:35:36 PM »
Congratulations Paul and the rest of the Wisley crew! What great fun to have a window into the alpine world at the garden. It's wonderful to see your continuing work (hard to believe that it's already over two years since I visited). Thanks for keeping us "posted."

Carlo
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:53:58 PM »
A tremendous and highly encouraging addition to the sites of both the SRGC and the AGS.
Our heartfelt thanks to the instigators, the contributors and to Wisley itself for allowing us this insight into the workings of such a renowned and celebrated institution.

More time to be spent in front of the computer ------ ???
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »
This is really a great addition to an already excellent site.

The gardens at Wisley have been one of our very favourite places to visit and we have travelled there many times and have always enjoyed the visits very much. The alpine house has, of course, been of special interest and always one of our spots to see. It will be great to watch the redevelopment here on the site and in real life when we can next get round to visit.

Many thanks for taking the time to write the blog. I have no doubt it will be followed with great interest by the members of this site.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »
Please use this forum for feedback on the new Wisley Alpine Log. Create as many topics as you wish!  ;)

and remember to click notify on the board, if you want to know when new topics are added.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »
More please!!!
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 07:45:03 PM »
Wow, I'm amazed at so many hits for the first day. And thanks to those of you who have already posted their appreciation of the log. Maggi, I'm afraid Sunny often sleeps on the job these days! She is getting quite old now - we think around 13 years - so we forgive her for her increasing siestas. Mind you, when she does move it can be dramatic - she doesn't seem to bother with small things like mice but goes for squirrels and even once a weasel brought in and proudly displayed to us. That's one tough pussy.
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 07:55:46 PM »
Fair enough, Paul, if Sunny is a teenager she may be allowed the odd lie-in!

We are thrilled that the Wisley log is online and delighted with the response. It is rewarding for you, I'm sure, having put in the effort to get it started.... now comes the work to keep it going.... just like a garden, really!

All this excitment about new items reminds me that you may not have noticed Sandy Leven's  latest article... see it here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/feature/sandyjuly2007/content.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:19:46 PM by Maggi Young »

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 08:16:17 PM »
Well done to you Paul. The number of "hits"  is usually highest for the first few days of any new feature or update. I am certain it will be even more popular once more folk get to know about it.

Ian's bulb log is now famous amongst  "planty people" and has been a key feature in making this site as successful as it is. I have no doubt the Wisley Log will be just the same!

Web sites are fine – but it's not "bells and whistles"  that bring in the visitors – it's good, varied content.

Thanks on behalf of the SRGC web team, please keep them coming!

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 10:50:36 PM »
Its nice to be able to 'share' Wisley, a place I have been able to go only a few times.  And I shall be trying one of those smoke thingies from Silverhills.  What a good idea.  Thanks Wisley for pointing this out.  Hope they work.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »
A new log from Wisley on today... have you seen it yet? Really super pictures of the construction of the new alpine house... very swish building, indeed! One of those would look very smart here, and the Bulb Despot would like it, too. ::)  I think it was a great idea to have the new "top" built to fit the existing footprint.... although this may have cost more in terms of money and lead time, the speed of getting the new structure in place must make up for that. The colour is a good choice, I'm sure. I presume it ( the metal frame) is pretty much maintenance free ?

Bit disappointed to see the fancy mowing machine being used in the meadow.... all those workers and not a scythe in sight... shame on you...  ;)
Thanks, Paul and the Gang!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »
The grass is raked into piles, loaded onto a trailer and taken out to the arboretum where it is spread as mulch around the trees

Forgive my ignorance, I have not been to Wisley.... I am assuming that the trees in the arboretum are planted in grass.... is this grass from the meadow then spread directly on to the grass of the arboretum, without composting ?

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 11:23:14 PM »
Paul,

Great to see such progress on the glasshouse, looks really great and I know the plants will look fabulous when you put them in.

Also good to see the team at Wisley engage in some hay saving but one question: why do English gardeners insist on using those short handled forks? Do you not have any with decent long handles?

Many thanks for the update.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal