We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calostemma purpureum  (Read 6063 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Calostemma purpureum
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
Howdy All,

I thought I'd post a pic here for those of us who might be growing this little Aussie native.... Calostemma purpureum.  I have just a single stem in flower for me this year, and I expect that will likely be all I'll get, but it does mean that this planting in the centre of my crocus garden looks to be working, as they bulbs are now properly maturing to flowering size.  Hopefully this is the first of many stems I'll get in the next few years.  8)  This is a pink variety, unlike the "usual" red and yellow ones.  I can dig up other pics I have taken elsewhere in the past if anyone is interested in seeing more of them.  Anyone else who is growing them, please feel free to post some pics here.

Enjoy!

(Remember to click on the pic for a larger version)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:38:32 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Calostemma purpureum
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »
Very nice Paul. I don't know if anyone over here is growing them though, wonder if Darren is?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 07:43:03 PM »
beautifulst Paul, I have not never seen a form with opened petal, would appeal to me to have seeds of this  :o
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

angie

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
Paul that is beautiful. Wish I was growing it  ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
beautifulst Paul, I have not never seen a form with opened petal, would appeal to me to have seeds of this  :o

Alessandro,

I think it is a timing thing.  The flower seems to be upright in bud, outward facing and open when it is at it's peak, then the flower droops as you can see in the rest of the flower stem.  I've so rarely had them flower that I haven't observed whether this is standard for other forms as well.  By the sound of it you do grow some of these.... what colours do you have?  If you don't have this pink then I am happy to send you some seed as these would usually set them I think.  I'm never quite sure whether they're apomictic or not, but given this is the only one I have flowering, any seed should be pretty much true to form I think.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »
Paul
thanks, I add a photo of the form that I possess

Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
Alessandro,

That looks like the more traditional "red" and yellow one from commerce.  There is also a yellow form (formerly called Calostemma lutea, but now just part of purpurea) that has much more open wide flowers.  Then there are ranges in between.  I have posted pics in the past of red and yellow combinations elsewhere on the forum, which have the shape of the yellow but varying amounts of red in the centre.  There is also a white species, which I have never yet seen in person, and a whole range of colours occurring naturally, which we never see in commerce at all unfortunately.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 04:52:16 AM »
Hi Paul,
I did post a pic earlier of Calostemma purpureum(note the gender!)
at reply #102: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6624.msg186254#msg186254
I've grown the yellow form and Pat Toolan has the white form growing around her place naturally!
cheers
fermi

Edit by Maggi to add full link to fermi's previous post.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:11:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
Fermi,

You're spot on, I'd never clicked to the purpureum. I shall edit and correct.  Yes, I was aware you had posted a pic in the Southern Hemisphere topic (I think?) but thought that the genus deserved a topic of it's own, hopefully for others to post in as well.  Wishful thinking that more grow them.  ;D

I do grow the yellow form as well as the red and the pink one I showed the photo of.  I have some other seedlings from a friend that could be of unknown colours, so I live in hope.  ;)  Hopefully Pat can show us a pic of the white near her.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:20:05 AM »
Your wish is granted Paul
The white Calostemma - no idea of the species
Pat
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Pat,

So they open pink and fade out to white.  A combination I've never even seen pictured before!!  VERY nice!!!!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
name change of thread to Calostemma purpureum
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »

The white Calostemma - no idea of the species
Pat
Very attractive indeed.

As I've said elswhere, I wish I had the facilities to grow these bulbs.   :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arillady

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
Paul what is the best reference to Calostemma to see if these have been described
Would be interesting to have a 20' x 20' native reserve!!! ;D ;D
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:09 AM »
Pat,

No idea.  My understanding is that there are a miriad of different shades of colour.  The white that is known as Calostemma alba or Calostemma scott-selickiana (spelling?) from north Queensland I think both refer to what is now a species of Proiphys.  I HAVE heard of pure white traditional Calostemmas (i.e not a Proiphys, but really a Calostemma) but never seen them, and there are yellows, yellow and red combinations, red (with the yellow throat, like my pink has a yellow throat), and other colour shades within that.  I do not know if there is any authority on these, although I know there are a few Aussie collectors of them.  If I had the space, I would grow a heap of them, but then I'd also have to find them available which wouldn't exactly be easy. ::)  I like the blend of colours in yours.... it's white and yet it isn't.  ;D  There really aren't that many photos of colour forms of them, except I know I've posted pics in various places of the colour forms that are found at the Bot Gardens here in Canberra.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal