We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron 2011  (Read 19883 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Rhododendron 2011
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »
Go on, cheer me up why don't you?    I can't believe how long I've been patient with this blasted plant! I had to re-count the years three times before I posted because I couldn't credit it had been that long. :-

The seat I have ready placed to sit  and enjoy the fragrant blossoms in the summer sun  is decaying with years of neglect. The wood is crumbling.... if I sat on it now I'd probably fall through the blasted thing.
 Bitter? Who, me??!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
Rhododendron "Shamrock" is my first one to flower !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
A very good starter, Luc!

Go on, cheer me up why don't you?    I can't believe how long I've been patient with this blasted plant! I had to re-count the years three times before I posted because I couldn't credit it had been that long. :-

The seat I have ready placed to sit  and enjoy the fragrant blossoms in the summer sun  is decaying with years of neglect. The wood is crumbling.... if I sat on it now I'd probably fall through the blasted thing.
 Bitter? Who, me??!!
What shall I say? - use stone instead of wood??

282850-0

I don't know what's worse, you waiting for a plant to flower or me waiting for a plant that may die - the two last very cold winters have almost finished off this one (I have as usual forgot the name but it blooms in July - pix from two years ago).
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »
Rats, here is the foliage of a local Blue Tit.   So I guess I will have to say Blue Diamond is closer Maggi.

I may have to dig out an auriculatum shot. ;)

Luc, I haven't seen Shamrock for a long time. It really is a good old hybrid and well grown to perfection in your care.

johnw
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:41:05 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 03:16:25 PM »
Went around Lea gardens this week and although I am not much into hybrids these days I couldn't resist this one. Do any of you know its parentage (Yak in it of course) and anything about about it. I think it may have been raised by Warren Berg. It is named Bergs 10
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

johnw

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »
Ian - It's definitely a tsariense x yak hybrid or the reverse. (Maggi - I won't back down on this one!) If it's one of Warren's it's apt to be Queen Bee.  Many have done this cross, some especially good ones out of Denmark.

johnw
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:18:18 PM by johnw »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
 ;)

I have one very similar bred by the Coxes that is a yak x tsariense........
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »
Thanks John and Maggi I did think tsariense might be involved but the seller wasn't able to confirm this.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
Went around Lea gardens this week and although I am not much into hybrids these days I couldn't resist this one. Do any of you know its parentage (Yak in it of course) and anything about about it. I think it may have been raised by Warren Berg. It is named Bergs 10

Here's a good place to start, click on individual page links for pictures and parentage
http://www.hirsutum.info/hybridizers/plants-hybridizer.php?hyb=26&order=
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »
At last - the flowers open up! A gale two days ago broke several flowers but the trusses are not that full anyway.
Rhododendron sutchuenense.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:03:39 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »
A few more pictures from Culzean taken last week.  The Rh. arboreums are at their best now.  It always surprises me looking at the flowers 14 metres/45 feet in the air.  I had never noticed the name of Rh. subarinsiense before although the plant is about 40 years old.  The pictures will have to remain unnamed as when I add the name to them it changed the format and the web site will not accept the postings.  The red flower is Rh.subarinsiense and the rest are Rh.arboreum and a Magnolia flower
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

johnw

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
Hoy - A lovely pink form of sutchuenense!

And Tom thanks for the posting of those magical arboreums.  Also good to see R. subanseriense which has only been a name till now and a nasty one to spell. Are the Magnolia campbelliis late there this year?

johnw

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
Not really.  Spring has a way of catching up quickly after a cold winter.  The Campbelliis have been coming out for the past 2 weeks. The last time we were at Benmore they were in full bud and at Logan we will have to go shortly or we will miss them. In my own tiny garden, the stellata is in full flower, the loebneri is starting to drop its petals and my yellow flowered variety (label lost!) will be out in a few days.called Butterflies and purchased from Burncoose nursery about 4 years ago

A cinnabarinum I bought 10 years ago has produced its first flowers.  All that I could read on the label was that it has blue-plum coloured flowers.  What do I get?  Butterscotch colours !!!.  Too late to complain.

Forty years ago I bought 5 cinnabarinums from Bodnant Gardens and nurtured them until they died off on a yearly basis.  I thought that it was solely my fault but I found out years later that it was the dreaded powdery milldew.  I still imagine what the plants would look like now if they had survived.

At Cox's nursery at Glendoick on Saturday, they actually had several specimens of subansiriense for sale, so I buy a Lady Alice Fitzwilliam because I could not resist the scent.  They are fully hardy at Logan gardens, Culzean, 12 miles south of me, have some very large Crassums which have fat healthy buds after the worst winter for ages.  My problem is to plant or keep in a pot ----no decision yet.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:34:06 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »
Lovely arboreums Tom just love the conical shape and overall look. I have one which has suffered badly in the last winter all flower buds were frosted  :(

Just a few shots around my cabbage patch

R Endsleigh Pink
R Unique

R campanulatum shots 173 and 174. I think it is Knap Hill but not sure and I'm sorry can't get the camera to show the correct lavender pink colour which sounds awful but is in fact quite lovely)

A general shot showing Magnolia Caerhays Surprise and a closeup of the flower and the last 2 general shots today
R camplocarpum (I think)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:39:44 PM by ian mcenery »

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Lovely garden Ian - looks more like a park !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal