We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Grants for Students- The Diana Aitchison Fund  (Read 8963 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
SRGC Grants for Students- The Diana Aitchison Fund
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
 FUND FOR ASPIRING ALPINE AND ROCK GARDEN STUDENTS

THE DIANA AITCHISON FUND

The Scottish Rock Garden Club has administered, for some years, a fund to provide grants and bursaries to support young people who want to pursue a career in horticulture, and especially in alpine and rock garden plants.

The Diana Aitchison Fund is intended to help young gardeners further their knowledge of rock and alpine plants and their cultivation. The Scottish Rock Garden Club was enabled to launch the fund thanks to a very generous sum being made available from the estate of the late Diana Aitchison.

Diana Aitchison was a keen gardener and plantswoman who set up and ran her own nursery at Spindlestone, near Belford, Northumberland.

Grants from the Diana Aitchison Fund will be available each year.
 Priority will be given to students following horticultural courses lasting one or more years and might go towards fees, living costs or travel expenses, either on a full-time course or at another location, such as summer work experience at a botanic garden or nursery. A personal contribution toward the cost of any course would be expected from any recipient.
Reports to SRGC Council from Grant recipients are also appreciated.

For full details on how to apply for a Diana Aitchison Grant see this page on the main website :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/fund/fund.html

The following table shows the level of grants and the purposes for which they were given, over the years 2006 to 2009.

Year Awarded    Course/work Placement            Awarded                                         2009                  

2009                    Study at RBG and other Nurseries/gardens                         1,500          
2009                    Study at RBG and other Nurseries/gardens                         1,500          
2009                    Work Experience at Explorers, Pitcairn Alpines                     1,000          
2009                    Fund books for College work                                          2,000                                                  
2009                    Help with Expenses whilst getting work experience

at RBG Kew Alpine Dept.                                                  800

2008                   Study at RBG and other Nurseries/gardens                          1,500

2008                   Study at RBG and other Nurseries/gardens                          1,500

2008                   Towards Expenses whilst studying for RHS

Advance Certificate                                                          600

2008                   Herbarium Training – Horticultural experience

relating to Meconopsis at RBGE                                          400

2008                   Work Experience at Explorers, Pitcairn Alpines

And RBGE                                                                     1,500                                                                    

2007                   Placement at Istanbul Botanic Garden                                    650

2007                   Placement at Istanbul Botanic Garden                                    650          
2007                    Help with expenses whilst at Dunedin Bot Gdn, NZ for 1 yr      1,750        
2007                    Work experience at Kevock Gardens                                  1,250  

2006                    Towards Expenses whilst studying for RHS

Cert in Hort                                                                    300                                                              
2006                    Higher HND in Plantsmanship – Mec seed storage              2,000          
2006                    Work experience at Harlow Carr                                            300

2006                    Study at RBG and other Nurseries/gardens                         1,000          
2006                    Study at RBG and other Nurseries/gardens                         1,000          
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:06:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: SRGC Grants for Students- The Diana Aitchison Fund
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
It was a delight to receive today this message from a recipient of an SRGC grant:

2008  Diana Aitchison Fund Recipient :Atsuko Akabane

Hello,
My name is Atsuko (Akabane) Gibson. I received The Diana Aitchison Fund in 2008 and completed an internship in the summer of 2008.
I am originally from Japan, and I was a student at the University of Arkansas in the US back then. I worked for The Scottish Plant Hunters Explores Garden, Pitcairn Alpines, and RBGE over the course of 12 weeks. I just wanted to let you know that how the fund helped me to get where I am right now and once again say thank you.

I graduated the University of Arkansas in May 2010 and got a job at Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden in Federal Way, Washington. I have worked there as a horticultural assistant since June.
I was surprised that the climate here in western Washington is very much similar to the climate in Scotland. This is one of the few parts of the US that Meconopsis can be grown. In fact, there is a Meconopsis meadow at the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden and it draws a lot of people every spring.

What I experienced in Scotland helped me a lot to decide which horticulture field I wanted to be in. I loved all the three accomodates I worked for, and Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden is a place that combined all three. It's a small operational garden (22 acre) like The Scottish Plant Hunters Explores Garden, there is a nursery (we have spring and fall catalogs and plant sales), and it's a botanical garden (scientific research). I truly enjoy what I do and this is because of what I experienced in Scotland in 2008. Without the fund, I would not have been able to complete the internship in Scotland. I am so grateful that you chose me as a recipient. Once again, thank you so much.

There is an alpine garden at the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden. I am very eager to maintain, add more plants, and get ready for the spring. Should you ever visit Washington state, please come see us.

Atsuko (Akabane) Gibson.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:37:38 AM by Maggi Young »

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
I was delighted and proud to see how a grant from the Diana Aitchison Fund and her internship in Scotland have helped Atsuko in her career and have written to her personally to congratulate her and wish her good luck for the future.  She is just the sort of student that the Fund was set up to help.

I'd love to visit the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden in Washington to see what's happening there and to meet Atsuko.

Edit by Maggi to add url for RSF Garden: http://www.rhodygarden.org
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:00:28 PM by Maggi Young »

Susann

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:48:39 AM »
Please tell Atsuko Akabane that we are delighted to hear from her. 2008...long time ago and Scotland is still in her mind! I totally understand it.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
Most SRGC Grant News is in the Notice Board Section, but I thought I'd add this here as well.

Explorers' Garden, Pitlochry 
The Explorers' Garden has asked  if we have spotted Katie MacColl in and around the garden? Katie is joining the garden from Perth for a five month placement in Explorers with thanks to The Diana Aitchison Fund run by the Scottish Rock Garden Club.

It's great to see Katie enjoying a placement aided by an SRGC Grant.   Good luck, Katie MacColl!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal