We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A three week Galanthus Blog  (Read 53674 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: A three week Galanthus Blog
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:39 PM »
John

Many thanks for this interesting blog, especially the shots of Benington Lordship.  I left for Portugal just as you posted and this is first opportunity to post.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
John, just found out that your interesting blog already finished.
I liked to read this very much and it was great to meat you as famous Galanthophile in person! :D
Since Sunday I was rather ill because I was caught by a flue, accompanied by tracheal cough and several sleepless nights caused by this matter. Actually I should by now know that the cold windy weather at these Snowdrop Days is not good for my health  :-\  ::) ::)
But yesterday and today a little bit of sunshine outside and seeing through the windows some Crocus opening their flowers make me feel a lot better.

I want just to add one picture which you and many other visitors didn’t have a chance to make a picture of on Saturday in the afternoon.
But you will be able to tell the story better than I do and maybe you possess the other part of the picture ;)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »
Look at the smiles on the happy forumists' faces!

Yes, how could I not smile with such nice company :D :D
Maggi, between you and me, not much else to smile there, just a few white drops ;D ;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »

Maggi, between you and me, not much else to smile there, just a few white drops ;D ;D ;D

Actually Luit, I was quite surprised to see so many flowers there that were not white... that's why I thought it looked fun ;) ;)

Certainly to meet so many nice people is always a pleasure...... but a shame that you got ill from all that fresh white air.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
Gosh that snowdrop hat almost beats Emma's ;D ;D

Brian, you have reminded me of this: http://sea-of-immeasurable-gravy.blogspot.com/2011/02/out-of-box.html

"Out of the Box", which is a comment on the RHS Show in Vincent Square, look down through the photographs until you see that famous hat lady.

Paddy
After the previous blog link and one to the previous year:
http://sea-of-immeasurable-gravy.blogspot.com/2010/02/rhs-london-show-snowed-under-with.html
I was greatly amused to find ........
Saw a video by Carol Klein in using the internet on the BBC website... she shows the Sea of immeasurabler gravy blogspot and mentions and shows the "ladies in the wonderful snowdrop hats".....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/connect/campaigns/firstclickfriends_carol.shtml

here's a screengrab
296806-0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:37:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2011, 10:40:34 PM »
The humorous Ms. Sock told me of this appearance but I have been unable to view it as yet. I think I may now manage.

Emma is now famous.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #246 on: May 30, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
ha ha ha

That made me smile on a day when i needed cheering up  ;D
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:03 AM »
Why have I started thinking about snowdrops again?? Having met John at a Snowdrop and Hellebore day near Canterbury a year or two ago, I think the snowdrop scene in the South-East (always a backward area!!) is starting to burgeon. John and Caroline Millen have a wonderful collection, and David and Anke Way too, especially early flowering forms. We have quite a number and if I can get on top of the weeds (!) hope to open the garden next February. There are several other shy and retiring people in the Hardy Plant Society who might be persuaded to as well.

My favourite of this winter? Rev. Hailstone from David and Anke. A really striking and distinctive plant.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal