We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A three week Galanthus Blog  (Read 53671 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: A three week Galanthus Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »
Colour? You call that colour?? ;D

Thanks for this next episode John. Seems as if snowdrop people are very hospitable, but then, just about all gardeners are. :) Best wishes for the snowdrop day with Matt Bishop. There should be plenty of pictures from that.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
Woke on Thursday morning to this view from my bedroom window.

265845-0

You can imagine how much I wanted to go out and take a closer look.... but, alas, Jo's Garden will have to wait until another day's account as we had to wolf down some delicious toasted treacle soda bread that Mark had brought over from Ireland and then jump into the car for the 1 hour drive to Yelverton.

The morning was filled with an informative lecture from Chris Brickell on the Caucasus, an amusing talk covering a year in Alan Street's snowdrop life and a mouth watering slideshow of new Snowdrop cultivars by Matt Bishop.  We also had time for coffee and mingling at half time.  A thoroughly enjoyable morning that had me scribbling copious notes that I will no doubt get home, scratch my head, and think "what does that say?.."

Then a convoy of cars headed off to 'The Garden House' for a delicious cottage pie lunch followed by sponge and custard.  A very sensible announcement was made that the "snowdrop sales would not start until everyone finished eating" - I think if this hadn't been said some may have eaten their food rather quicker than is good for them!  One of my friends suggested we order a second helping just to delay things by an hour - but then decided that may have instigated a lynch mob being formed! ;D   People started drifting outside ready for the sales areas of the 'Garage' and 'potting shed' to throw open their doors to those of us suffering, from what Alan mentioned in his talk as, OCSD (Obsessive Compulsive Snowdrop Disorder).  

With my 'personal obstacles' to large gatherings, I found the two sales rooms a bit too claustrophobic and had to get outside pretty damn quick.   :-\  But there was still plenty of fabulous snowdrops and other plants on offer even after the initial crush had subsided.

265847-1

265849-2

265851-3

265853-4

A few people happy with their acquisitions

265855-5

265857-6

265859-7

Our attempt at a group photo - but we managed to miss off at least 5 other SRGC members - sorry!

265861-8

Spring had sprung at 'The Garden House'

265863-9
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:50:22 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 07:15:34 AM »
Greetings to the happy forumists, but I saw some other wellknown galanthophile too.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 07:29:14 AM »
Some photographs taken around the garden.

'Esther Merton'
265875-0

'Green Arrow'
265877-1

'J P Long'
265879-2

265881-3

Just a small part of this beautiful garden
265883-4

265885-5

Alas it rained all day - but EmmaT was dressed for it.
265887-6

'Fly Fishing' - I have fallen for this plant big time and it is now top of my wish list!
265889-7

'Toby'  (I think I have the name right?)
265891-8

After such a great day, and after having done all the driving, Jo still managed to find the energy to prepare a Chinese banquet.  And boy! What a banquet!  Roast duck with pancakes, prawn omelette's, vegetable noodle stir fry, Chinese tea.  I was sooooooo happily stuffed full of food at the end.

265893-9

Alas my day was spoilt slightly when it came time to leave the Garden House.  We were among the last to depart and when I went to get my waterproof Berghaus coat it was missing from the coat rack.  It is the black coat I have over my camo jacket in the group photo.  Hopefully someone has picked it up by accident  but I am going to be lost without it this week on my Galanthus wanderings if we are expecting rain.  If anyone reads this and realises they have taken it by mistake could you please contact me on here or Matt Bishop at the Garden House.  Many thanks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:15:49 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
looks very soggy, but at least the frogs are happy, went out late last night with the dog and passed a lot making their way to the ponds, agree about Fly Fishing, is very nice!

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »
Hi John,

It's good that the bad weather is not impinging on your enjoyment of the event. It does look like our weather here at the moment, lots of wet.

In the first photograph above, there is a man almost in the centre of the shot with a camera on his chest and looking towards you who certainly puts Steve Owens in mind to me.

Is that Emma Thick with the (almost) camoflage clothing looking at the cyclamen and again with her woolly hat holding her treasured purchase.

I recognise Mark with snowdrop in hand coming out of the outhouse and Jo in the bottom left hand corner of the first shot and I think you with a bunch of snowdrops - though they all look the same. (And here comes Maggi with her comment)

G. 'Esther Merton' looks very nice and 'Fly Fishing' also, the latter very like G. 'Fishing Rod' in my mind, lovely long pedicles which allow the flowers to swing around in the breeze.

Continue to enjoy and report.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this blog!  What treasures, have to agree with 'Fly Fishing' comments too, but one that has taken my eye is clutched by someone who had to rush out of the sales area in his hat?  Very long outers on it.  Good to see a photo of 'Esther Merton' too.  Thanks John.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
Oh, I see that one now, Brian. Yes, that is interesting.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:41:18 AM »
Is that Emma Thick with the (almost) camoflage clothing looking at the cyclamen and again with her woolly hat holding her treasured purchase.

Yes indeed, although if it's camouflage clothing it looks to be a feminine version with a floral motif - jungle camouflage perhaps?  Emma is famous for her knitted hats with snowdrop motif.     
Almost in Scotland.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 09:53:54 AM »
Fantastic photos under trying conditions.

It looks as if everyone had a great time - was the sales table cleared? and there is still the Gala to come.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »
John
I can not say what I like more happy faces or beautiful garden or lots of different snowdrops!  :)
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »
The Garden House, spectacular cultivars, arms full of snowdrops and Chinese food - no wonder so many big smiles.

Jo - Is the two-tiered metal pot on the table a rice-warmer?

johnw
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:41:22 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
Is that Emma Thick with the (almost) camouflage clothing looking at the cyclamen and again with her woolly hat holding her treasured purchase.

Yes indeed, although if it's camouflage clothing it looks to be a feminine version with a floral motif - jungle camouflage perhaps?  Emma is famous for her knitted hats with snowdrop motif.    

;D yes that's me, i don't like to get cold and wet so dressed for the occasion , i didn't intend to merge with the background   ;D  
And yes that's me with my 'big boy '    I just hope it grows for me  :-\ I have been after it for some time.
All in all a fantastic day was had by all. I hope the garden house holds another study day  next year :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:54:47 PM by emma T »
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this blog!  What treasures, have to agree with 'Fly Fishing' comments too, but one that has taken my eye is clutched by someone who had to rush out of the sales area in his hat?  Very long outers on it.  Good to see a photo of 'Esther Merton' too.  Thanks John.

;) everyone was asking what it was  ::)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:10:59 PM by emma T »
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
I knew I shouldn't have looked at this blog!  What treasures, have to agree with 'Fly Fishing' comments too, but one that has taken my eye is clutched by someone who had to rush out of the sales area in his hat?  Very long outers on it.  Good to see a photo of 'Esther Merton' too.  Thanks John.

It was a ******* ;D everyone was asking what it was  ::)

Emma - I was going to keep them guessing for days on that one  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:24:04 PM by KentGardener »
John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal