We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: BULB LOG 05..........2nd February 2011  (Read 1948 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
BULB LOG 05..........2nd February 2011
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
OH my .. I'm quivering like a betula leaf in the breeze

Bulb log 0511

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:20:47 PM by Ian Y »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: BULB LOG 05..........2nd February 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
I see you've found the new 'drops then, Mark!
I edited your post to show the direct link.

The 'Greenflake' has been pictured on the Forum before, but I believe that 'Don Armstrong' is new to us all outside of British Columbia.
They are exceptionally beautiful. We think they are pure G. elwesii... they look right!  :D

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
I see you've found the new 'drops then, Mark!
I edited your post to show the direct link.

The 'Greenflake' has been pictured on the Forum before, but I believe that 'Don Armstrong' is new to us all outside of British Columbia.
They are exceptionally beautiful. We think they are pure G. elwesii... they look right!  :D

Who's not a Galanthophile now then? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
Maggi & The Trembling Aspen-

There were a couple of postings of 'Don Armstrong' last year without a name. At the time Vancouverite Pam Frost, who named it after our mutual friend, and I were concerned about using the name publicly until it was confirmed to be worthy and not a duplication.  If the name had been stated and then the bulb found to be a another cultivar we feared we couldn't use the name again and we desperately wanted to honour one of Canada's pioneering & most generous galanthophiles. We are not certain if it was a find in the Vancouver or Victoria area but it had been in safe-keeping for about 10 years.

We contacted John Grimshaw and he stated it was up to snuff and mighty worthy. So the name will officially be registered, appearing in Book 2 - honestly! It may be found on his 2010 blog.

With a lot of bureaucratic hassles it has made its way to several forumists.

Someday I will scan old slides of Don's garden.

Wow that Greenflake is something.  Love the inwardly kinking tips of the outers. I will have to send out a red alert to the Canadian snowhounds.

johnw - the snow - upwards of 40cm possible including some rain - has just started. Going home.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:50:08 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »
Thanks  John - Ian thought that 'Don Armstrong ' was  going to be the "correct" name  for this lovely flower.  I'd forgotten that it had been shown in the Forum.... is there anything which hasn't been in the Forum, I hear you ask!!

I find the poculiform 'drops to be very appealing and Ian, of course, as the world wide self appointed chariman of Leucojocks  Anonymous, is drawn to them too. ;)

It was not the BD, however, who managed to get the Leucojum featured as a Snowdrop in that leaflet Ian the Christie kind  showed earlier.... at least, he's denying all knowledge quite strenuously!
 See Ian C's post here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6498.msg183171#msg183171

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »

I find the poculiform 'drops to be very appealing and Ian, of course, as the world wide self appointed chariman of Leucojocks  Anonymous, is drawn to them too. ;)

Slowly but surely the two of you will be drawn into this madness.   ;)

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »

I find the poculiform 'drops to be very appealing and Ian, of course, as the world wide self appointed chariman of Leucojocks  Anonymous, is drawn to them too. ;)

Slowly but surely the two of you will be drawn into this madness.   ;)

johnw

Just give in now, you know you want too  ;)
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
'Don Armstrong' really is a beauty, and Ian's photos show it off very well.  8)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »

It was not the BD, however, who managed to get the Leucojum featured as a Snowdrop in that leaflet Ian the Christie kind  showed earlier.... at least, he's denying all knowledge quite strenuously!
 See Ian C's post here : http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6498.msg183171#msg183171
Maggi,
It was probably an Australian as that's what most of the hoi polloi here think are snowdrops!
Ian,
those two dreeps could easily draw one into the white madness! Beware!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »
By coincidence, I took photographs of G. 'Don Armstrong' yesterday afternoon and, despite best intentions, didn't get to post them on the forum last night - school runs and local garden club and, of course, the meeting in Devon.

This is its second year flowering and I think it is a wonderful snowdrop, perfectly clean white and perfectly regular - and, in this garden, up before the leucojums.

Paddy

Galanthus 'Don Armstrong'
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
Paddy, how wonderful that 'Don Armstrong ' is enjoying life in Ireland. He's a fine strong lad here.
 Ian seems to have got the wrong end of the stick about how far this 'drop has spread.... good to hear that DA is a already a travelling man. 8)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:04:46 AM by Maggi Young »

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »
Maggi,

I have 'Don Armstrong' since last year and it seems like it is going to be a good growing snowdrop. Look at the first photograph above - two flowers and several sideshoots, so I can see it bulking up reasonably quickly. Also, this is growing outdoors and is doing well despite the harsh weather we have had.

As John W. said, I had posted photographs last year but hadn't put the name to it as the name hadn't been finalised/agreed at that stage. I simply said it was a poculiform elwesii.

Hopefully, it will continue to grow well and we can spread it around. By all accounts, John W's in  particular, Don Armstrong was a wonderful person.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal