We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla scilloides  (Read 3469 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Scilla scilloides
« on: July 28, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Two weeks ago, with almost everything under control in the greenhouse, I thought I might as well pot on my scillas and a few other bulbs.  I put them in slightly larger pots with some new compost as a duvet but didn't water them.  I was quite surprised today to notice that Scilla scilloides has decided its time to flower.  Fresh new buds and nice bronze foliage has nosed through the soil!   I've decided I'd better water it. Is this the right time of year for this to happen or am I doing something wrong?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Scilla scilloides
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:17:46 AM »
I'd say you have it spot on Chris. It is late summer/autumn flowering. In an old AGS Bulletin from 1952, it won a prize on Sept 9th when exhibited by the Director, RHS garden at Wisley, at an AGS show.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 05:45:31 PM »
Thanks Lesley.  You must go back quite a way lol.  I'll post a picture of its flower once it is in full bloom.  It's looking promising.....

btw I've been in touch with a NZ nursery recently about an armeria I bought called Armeria juniperifolia 'New Zealand form'.  Turns out it is actually A. juniperifolia 'Sugar Baby' according the the NZ people, they have been so helpful and kind.  But it doesn't hail from NZ, but from a man who sent seed from Bavaria a while ago.  I checked the correct name and it gave me your post about it ages ago, probably on the old site.  They plan to contact our Plantfinder to let them know its true name as they produced it from seed.  It's a lovely form of A. juniperifolia.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:13:31 PM »
I got it from Ruksans.
It has flowered two years now and survives (touch wood) in the open in mid Sweden.
The flowers are not spectacular but nice to have in the fall when few bulbs flower (here).
So: I recommend it.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ChrisB

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
Mine was purchased from the AGS plant table at the Northumberland Autumn Show last year.  Had only foliage then, so I have not seen it in bloom yet.  Waiting patiently and it is moving very quickly now, so I won't have to wait much longer.  Will put up its picture when it does.  Label said it was from Naguchi in Japan and has pink flrs.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 01:57:03 AM »
Hi Chris. The Armeria - as you've discovered - was raised from seed by Hokonui Alpines (Louise occasionally posts on the Forum) and I assumed it was from their own seed. They raise some super plants and I wish they'd name them in a way that identifies them as theirs or at least as from NZ. `Sugar Baby' does, I suppose describe the plant but says nothing else. A wasted name I think.

The pic that accompanied the item in the AGS Bulletin about Scilla scilloides, though black and white, looked like a jolly nice thing. It said it came from China. Mine haven't bloomed yet either but will this coming autumn I should think.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ChrisB

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:47:37 PM »
Hi Lesley,

There are just six listings for S. scilloides in the Plantfinder, so its not too common in these parts.  Flower buds forming nicely now, and it is amongst the first things I have put into my new plunge bed created from my cold frame.  I think I'm going to make some very good use of the plunge bed after reading Ian's article in the latest mag too.  Don't know why I haven't done it before....

As for the armeria, it is a lovely thing and it is just that little bit different to the other A. juniperifolias I have too.  I've put them into sinks I made from fish boxes.  At first, from the label I had, I thought you must have a native form of Armeria down there, but I was corrected by Louise.  What a nice lady.  I am going to buy some seed from them.  Any suggestions for NZ natives worth trying?  I am keen on tiny alpine plants to put in more sinks.  Love these sinks, easy to spot things in them.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »
Chris, there are dozens of very small NZers well worth a try. Some are distinctly tricky but your climate seems to suit them, certainly better than mine does for instance. Look at Alan Furness's collection as an example or Geoff Rollinson's. Admittedly, these gentlemen throw in a great dollop of skill as well.

You could try some of the smallest aciphyllas such as A. crosby-smithii or simplex or dobsonii. These are very growable and will, in nature make huge plants but probably take hundreds of years to do this. A 20 year old A. dobsonii is still going to be a good size for a trough. Celmisia argentea or sessiliflora or hectori (but that one IS tricky, though beautiful with polished aluminium foliage) would be suitable and the chionohebes are perfect trough plants as are many of the Myosotis species, especially M. pulvinaris or colensoi if the soil is a bit limey (doesn't need it but does like it). Then there is Lobelia linnaeoides along with Nertera depressa or N. balfouriana. These all creep tightly to the ground, flowers on the lobelia and orange fruits on the nerteras. Mr Buttercup at Whitworth would recommend the smaller Ranunculus species of which we have several, Geum uniflorum is gorgeous if you can lay your hands on some fertile seed. Then there are some delightful tiny broom bushlets, Carmichaelia enysii or monroi and others. These have little pea-type lilac flowers. And don't forget Clematis marmoraria (NO lime) or many of its seedlings which are good for dangling over the side. The seedlings from `Luna Lass' produce some charming, green or white flowered plants which are very compact. Others sprawl widely.

Does this help? Oh yes, there are many raoulias for mats or the "vegetable sheep" types. These could need covering with glass in winter. Raoulia grandiflora makes a little mat reminiscent of the Porophyllum saxifrages, very metallic. The Hokonui seedlist will give you plenty of other ideas too. Did Louise send you a copy?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:47:38 PM by Lesley Cox »

ChrisB

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 12:51:48 PM »
Thanks for your comprehensive list Lesley, I shall look them all up and approach the on line catalogue to get some seed and give them a go.  I love growing things from seed, it is so exciting and satisfying.

I have a friend in Oz who sent me a few macadamia nuts as a joke because she knew I liked them.  After trying to break the shells of two only to crush the nut within, I decided to put the other one in a pot.  Two years later it germinated and I had a glorious tree in my conservatory for three years with wonderful foliage.  It eventually succumbed to scale insect and anyway had outgrown its large pot.  I thought I'd get it out and dump it but it just wouldn't budge.  Being outside I thought it was dead but no.  It has sent up three new shoots this spring after being outside for two years.  I guess I'm going to have to break the pot, though I am loathe to do that.  Ah well.  But I digress.

This thread is supposed to be about my scilla, which, incidentally, is coming on a treat.  Should be in bloom soon.

Thanks again for your help.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal