We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A monograph of the genus Crocus (1886 ) by George Maw  (Read 5938 times)

Gerry Webster

A monograph of the genus Crocus (1886 ) by George Maw
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:57:53 PM »
A monograph of the genus Crocus  (1886 ) by George Maw    

The full text (including plates) of this classic monograph can be found here:

http://biodiversitylibrary.org/item/52656
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: A monograph of the genus Crocus (1886 ) by George Maw
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
Gerry, many thanks for this LInk.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
I agree super link,i am presently downloading.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
I downloaded it yesterday after seeing Great Moravian's link to a page on Crocus clusii in The Plant List thread. 
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6423.msg181966#msg181966

It takes a while, its nearly 32 MB.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
I have photocopy of Maw's excellent monograph, made in 80-ies, last century, but it isn't handy to use. It was made in Library of Botanical Institute in S'Peterburgh, where is single copy in all previous USSR of this phantastic book. I was very happy, finding offer of Maw's monograph "reprint" published by General Books. How great was my disappointment when I got it. No pictures and text in many, many places impossible to understand. It is scanned by automatical scanner with plenty of mis-red letters making many words unreadable, with plenty of spelling mistakes.
Now I downloaded this monograph. Simply excellent! Only one problem - I don't know how to improve image, to make text more contrasting for print out with darker lines.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »
Janis I found zooming in on the text helps a lot if you are only viewing.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Gerry Webster

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
Janis - I wonder whether this is a consequence of your computer/printer set-up? I have just printed out a sample page using a Mac computer & an old Epson printer. Although the contrast in the text could be better,  it is not bad & is easily readable.

Edit 3.2.11

As regards viewing the web pages, I find that the contrast of the text  depends on the browser; Safari is somewhat better than Firefox.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:03:07 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:01:35 PM »
At the same site which houses Maw's monograph you can search by name for older literature on crocus (& presumably other plants):

http://biodiversitylibrary.org/Search.aspx?searchTerm

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
Thanks for the link.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:40:58 AM »
Janis , I bought your excellent book on Crocuses a few days ago with superb photos - Congratulations !

Re the photocopy of George Maw's 1886 monograph in the Leningrad Library. For the last 50 or so years I wanted to purchase a copy of it- but it was always out of my reach .Then last year I found an excellent reprint of it by the Archival Reprint Co. , limited to 120 copies .It is 100% true to the 1886 original , text colours etc. I checked it with the original copy of 1886 ,held in the State Library of Victoria , Melbourne . As it came bound in thin cardboard , I had it rebound in dark green half calf and handmarbled paper. -see pics.
    I think you would enjoy this reprint,
           Otto.

Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
Janis , I bought your excellent book on Crocuses a few days ago with superb photos - Congratulations !

Re the photocopy of George Maw's 1886 monograph in the Leningrad Library. For the last 50 or so years I wanted to purchase a copy of it- but it was always out of my reach .Then last year I found an excellent reprint of it by the Archival Reprint Co. , limited to 120 copies .It is 100% true to the 1886 original , text colours etc. I checked it with the original copy of 1886 ,held in the State Library of Victoria , Melbourne . As it came bound in thin cardboard , I had it rebound in dark green half calf and handmarbled paper. -see pics.
    I think you would enjoy this reprint,
           Otto.

Edited -  today, 21.49

Otto - it's interesting that you checked the colours in  your reprint against the original. If you compare the plate you have pictured with the same plate in the online version the colours are quite different.  C. clusii (= Mathew's C. serotinus subsp clusii) is described by Mathew as  lilac to purplish in colour & Maw describes the colour as "bright purple". While many of the colours have obviously faded in the online version the  plate shown there does depict the flower as purplish rather than bluish as in your photo. So, if the colours are accurate in your photo of the reprint,  something odd is going on.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:05:33 PM by Gerry Webster »

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
The Biodiversity Library is included within the larger Archive.org website which has much of interest.  Several versions of this book are available here http://www.archive.org/details/monographofgenus00mawg however the Black and White pdf version is very faint and the pictures are useless when printed.

Janis,
A way to get a better copy is to take the colour pdf file to a commercial printer or Copy Shop to print out on a professional colour laser printer.  I have done this on our big colour copier in my office and the quality is excellent, although I do not know if the colours are true.  However there are 550 pages and that is expensive !
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
Sorry if I insist about C. clusii, but I think is not important the colour in this case as you can see a huge variation in C. serotinus, but not in C. clusii, which is very homogeneous. I think the herbarium samples collected as C. serotinus subsp. clusii are all in fact C. serotinus, that I consider it as a only species without subsps.  C. clusii has leaves when blooms, and it is  the only Iberian Crocus with reticulated tunics. It blooms a month after C. serotinus (august - september), in the southern part of Iberian Peninsula, like Cadiz (late November)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
The Biodiversity Library is included within the larger Archive.org website which has much of interest.  Several versions of this book are available here http://www.archive.org/details/monographofgenus00mawg however the Black and White pdf version is very faint and the pictures are useless when printed.

Janis,
A way to get a better copy is to take the colour pdf file to a commercial printer or Copy Shop to print out on a professional colour laser printer.  I have done this on our big colour copier in my office and the quality is excellent, although I do not know if the colours are true.  However there are 550 pages and that is expensive !

Thank you! I did it and now I have nice copy with help of my son-in-law it cost me nothing! :D
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »
Janis, I am very pleased to help you !
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal