We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Show talk 2011  (Read 3007 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Show talk 2011
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
What a pity you don't have a show in June.  We have lost our Show at Pudsey and it's a long gap from Southport to Tewkesbury.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Show talk 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
Why has it been lost Shelagh? What on earth will the "piglets" do?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Show talk 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »

I think it's been lost because Pudsey Town Hall was a very expensive venue.  St Chads was a good alternative, so I'm not sure why we're not moving back there. 
As to the piglets .... we will have to ponder the alternatives  ::)
We did one year end up with the Southport Sow ... the venue and the food were good but the title doesn't quite have the same ring. 
Pondering Piglets - now there's a interesting concept  8)
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Show talk 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »

I think it's been lost because Pudsey Town Hall was a very expensive venue.  St Chads was a good alternative, so I'm not sure why we're not moving back there. 
As to the piglets .... we will have to ponder the alternatives  ::)
We did one year end up with the Southport Sow ... the venue and the food were good but the title doesn't quite have the same ring. 
Pondering Piglets - now there's a interesting concept  8)

You can't have "Southport Sows" that would have to be a feminine event :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

claykoplin

• Point Barrow Alaska
Show talk 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
Hurray for Blackpool for Hexam.  They nicely bracket the Frit Group and AGS shows on the 19th/20th.
in Cordova, Alaska

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Show talk 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
Sounds like you are going to have a really busy holiday, Clay, but all these events will be lots of fun, I'm sure and there will be Forumists looking out for you..... just carry a jar of salmon at all times to aid  identification!  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Show talk 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:46:39 PM »
Clay if you make either of those Shows please make yourself known, I am sure Diane will be at Blackpool if not Hexham and Brian and I will be at both.  Look forward to meeting you.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Darren

Show talk 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
Susan and I should be at both too Clay - hope to see you.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Show talk 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »

I think it's been lost because Pudsey Town Hall was a very expensive venue.  St Chads was a good alternative, so I'm not sure why we're not moving back there.  
As to the piglets .... we will have to ponder the alternatives  ::)

This problem of costly venues, or even the difficulty in finding ANY venue, even if cost were not a consideration, is one that bedevils all sorts of clubs and societies. For flower or plant shows there is the added problem of permission t for an event that may well make quite a "mess" in the hall  etc... then there are the added problems of getting enough able-bodied souls to help out... it is a really tough job to put a show together at the best of times and when the venue has priced itself out of contention the organistaion seeking to hold a show has little option but to give in.
We have experience of one central venue in Aberdeen some years ago enforcing a blanket ban on any show or event they deemed "messy" ... flowers, plants, dogs, cats, flower arranging.... !!!
It's a scenario that is played out often each year in horticultural clubs around the UK. So sad that in a country where the tradition of flower shows is so strong that we face these problems.
We can only hope that great shows like Pudsey return to the AGS calendar in the future and that no more shows are lost to our clubs from such rising costs.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:51:34 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Show talk 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 04:19:47 PM »
I'll second that Maggi.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal