We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemonella thalictroides 'Red Taiwan'  (Read 6670 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Anemonella thalictroides 'Red Taiwan'
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
I should say Thalictrum thalictroides 'Red Taiwan', probably.
But anyhow, does anyone here have an idea where I might be able to buy this cultivar?

And, if anyone grows it I would like to know if you think it is really as nice as on the site of Rareplants?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Anemonella thalictroides 'Red Taiwan'
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »
Wim, I had not heard of that cultivar, but based on the Rareplants links it does look very nice (and distinctive too) .  Not cheap as £19.50, and it is listed as out of stock.

http://rareplants.co.uk/product.asp?s=6wYYjn645368&P_ID=2546&strPageHistory=related
http://rareplants.co.uk/uploads/images_versions_large/3277.jpg
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:01:55 PM »
Mark, neither had I, before today, when I was searching for some info about the genus.
I don't think I have ever seen it for sale on the Rareplants site either, I certainly would have bought it if I had seen it. He probably only sold it for one year.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

TheOnionMan

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »
So new!  Perhaps he only had 3 plants to sell ;D  I'm not sure why no one has hybridized the Anemonellas, they do make seed, and with a decent collection of them and some hand pollination, I'm sure some interesting doubles and semi-doubles might crop up.  Since the genus is sometimes called Thalictrum, I wonder too, whether they would cross with other Thalictra or other Ranunculacaea like Isopyrum.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:34:01 PM »
Old cynic that I am - and I can well believe this plant would be out-of-stock - I'm thinking what a fabulous catalogue listing one could have, with innumerable rare, gorgeous and highly desirable plants listed, all as "out of stock" or "sold out." They may never, in fact have been anywhere near the nursery concerned.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

astragalus

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »
Never heard of 'Red Taiwan' before, thanks for the links, Mark.  Now if someone could please direct me to a source for Eranthis stellata, courtesy of following Mark's links!
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
Never heard of 'Red Taiwan' before, thanks for the links, Mark.  Now if someone could please direct me to a source for Eranthis stellata, courtesy of following Mark's links!

I had three Eranthis stellata in my garden for some years but they succumbed. I think they died of thirst! :'( Who should ever thought that possible here ???
I think I bought them from rareplants.co.uk
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:19:09 AM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
Jenny Archibald has seed of the eranthis listed on her new list just out.  I took the list round to a friend yesterday and left it there so I can't copy out the details but I'm sure someone here will know.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »
Old cynic that I am - and I can well believe this plant would be out-of-stock - I'm thinking what a fabulous catalogue listing one could have, with innumerable rare, gorgeous and highly desirable plants listed, all as "out of stock" or "sold out." They may never, in fact have been anywhere near the nursery concerned.

;D ;D
It could be like that, too... But the picture exists...so...the plant has to exist too...no? Unless someone is creating photoshopped plants  :(
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
The Rare Plants online shop lists things as Out Of Stock when they're not available to order because it's the wrong time of year. He has the usual spring list for plants to order and buy in spring, mostly summer flowering stuff, and a summer list for autumn and winter-flowring stuff. All plants and bulbs are left on the website so customers can see what he usually has for sale, even if the plants or bulbs are currently on an "inactive" list so can't be ordered yet. The anemonellas should become available to order when his summer list appears later in the year.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
I've mailed Paul Christian personally and he told me he had that specific Anemonella from a Japanese nursery which does not export anymore. So he wil not have it for sale anymore  :'( :'(
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

TheOnionMan

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »
Oh, that's too bad... it looks like such a distinctive cultivar.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 12:47:52 PM »
Well if he knows he's never going to be able to offer that variety again, it might be an idea to take it off the online shop! I can understand keeping something on as an indication that it might be available at some point. But if it's never going to be available?!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Pascal B

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
I'm not sure why no one has hybridized the Anemonellas, they do make seed, and with a decent collection of them and some hand pollination, I'm sure some interesting doubles and semi-doubles might crop up.

Mark, aren't there already some nice doubles and semi-doubles developed in the US? I know they grow several doubles in Japan in various shades of lilac and pink but with most goodies from Japan they are not exported or hugely expensive. Some double ones are available via Edrom in the UK.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »

Mark, aren't there already some nice doubles and semi-doubles developed in the US? I know they grow several doubles in Japan in various shades of lilac and pink but with most goodies from Japan they are not exported or hugely expensive. Some double ones are available via Edrom in the UK.

Yes, there are some good one's here, although they're still hard to come by, not a regularly stocked item, and rather expensive.  One of the better small offerings of this genus was with Barry Yinger's Asiatica nursery, which sadly is no longer in business.  A quick look around the the internet for nursery offerings came up fairly short, found 'Cameo' and "Schoaf's Double Pink" (there are about 6 iterations of this name), and the semi-double green one that goes around under 4 different names.  Sometimes the pale green 'Betty Blake' cultivar can be found.  This one called 'Red Taiwan' certainly looked unique, both in coloration and petal arrangement.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:37:16 AM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal