We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris-2011  (Read 56794 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Reticulate Iris-2011
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Hans,

I wait every year to see how your I. pamphyllica have developed.  Since you've first shown this iris, it has really captured my imagination.  Such wonderfull colours and gracefull form.  I'm surprised it is not better know (other than on this thread!).  I take it, it really requires an almost aril-like environment to thrive.  Hope you get seed this season, now that more clones are flowering.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »
Superb plants Arthur!

Thanks for all the comments!
I am really glad it does fine and could augment their number.

I'm surprised it is not better know (other than on this thread!).  I take it, it really requires an almost aril-like environment to thrive.  Hope you get seed this season, now that more clones are flowering.

It is said to be tricky (B. Mathew, Janis Ruksans...), easily gets Botrytis, the bulb grows deep (here about 20 - 25 cm), the leaves become very long (actually 50 cm, about 100 cm later) and it cannot be grown in the open garden in most part of europe - this might explain this species is rarly seen in cultivation. Adding to this cultivation problems it seems to be nearly extinct in nature (think it was Janis who mentioned it).
Not with arils, but I have been told with Iris stenophylla alisonii it shares the habitat.
I get some seedpods nearly every season - unfortunately cutworms love them very much.

Fantastic, Hans.  I love the use of olives as top dressing  ;D 8)
;D - should try an entry with this top dressing for the next AGS Online-show  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:44:16 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
Hans,

how cold does it handle, do you think?  As I am in one of the wrmest parts of Germany, as you know, it might adapt.  Then there are always pots, which I use for the more delicate aris species seedlings.  So far, so good in the cold lean-to, which reaches about -7°C in Winter.  If there are any seeds, please keep me in mind.  I'll send you a pair of scissors to deal with the cut worms!  Was my favourite method, giving them their name-sake!  ;D
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
Think moisture is a more important problem than temperature. I know this species can be grown in southern and eastern germany in ventilated bulbframes where it can be very cold in winter. The main difference is the conditions are much more stable than in cologne where wet weather (with high air moisture) changes with freezing regulary.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
Some more emerging 'reticulate' irises
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:22:59 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

PeterT

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
Your pamphylica is stunning Hans.
You have some lovely retics Arthur, how long have you been growing the Iris reticulata kopetdagense and how do you find it? Has it ever set seed for you? George really scored against the western botanists by naming it as there is already an Iris (juno sect) kopetdagense.
My plants seem like a rather miffy vesion of J S Dijt.
Leonid Bondarenko suggests it really is a distinct species because he cant get it to cross with other forms of Iris reticulata.
Some where I read that ther are two forms of it one with leaves at flowering and one without.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

art600

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Peter

I obtained my Iris kopetdaghensis from Leonid Bondarenko in 2008.  It has done well for me, but never set seed
Arthur Nicholls

PeterT

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
Arthur, I bought one from Tony Dickerson a few years ago which has never set seed either. It may have come from Leonid but I don't know, it has increaced. I bought another one directly from Leonid, l think it was last year but it might have been 2009. I shall be trying to pollinate them with each other....

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Nice plants Arthur.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 12:16:33 PM »
how long have you been growing the Iris reticulata kopetdagense and how do you find it? Has it ever set seed for you? George really scored against the western botanists by naming it as there is already an Iris (juno sect) kopetdagense.

Leonid Bondarenko suggests it really is a distinct species because he cant get it to cross with other forms of Iris reticulata.
Some where I read that there are two forms of it one with leaves at flowering and one without.

There are two Iris reticulata from Turkmenistan part of Kopetdag, grown under name "Iris kopetdaghense". One stock I got from Alan McMurtrie, who got them directly from Dr. Rodionenko, whose team collected and described this "species" as Iridodyctium kopetdaghense. Russian botanists separate reticulata irises as different genus Iridodyctium. As I was informed - DNS researches didn't confirm such separation. So the name can't be accepted even in case if it is different from other reticulatas, because there are Juno species with such name (Juno - another genus separated by Russian botanists from Iris).

Another is distributed by Leonid Bondarenko reported as collected by himself quite close to locus classicus of Rodionenko plant.
Although both (McMurtrie's and Bondarenko's) are almost identical by flower they are different in development of leaves. In McMurtries plants leaves develop later and at blooming time they are distinctly below flowers. This is one of features used by Rodionenko colleagues describing it as new species (not important by my opinion). In Bondarenko's stock leaves are at level of flowers or even overtop them.

I don't think that "I. kopetdaghense" (reticulate) is separate species. Just the difference between both - McM and LB stocks confirms that. Both stocks are fertile, well set seeds although I never pollinated them artificially or tried to cross with other forms. Really there are no important differences with other Iris reticulata forms. Of course - could be on genetic level, but such has no importance for practical gardener as they are unusable on field or garden.
In my collection I'm naming them "Iris reticulata "Kopet Dag" MCM type or LB type.

Janis
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:21:04 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

art600

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
Thanks Janis for the further clarification.

I think the plant is very much better than most garden reticulate iris, and it is incrasing  ;D
Arthur Nicholls

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:16 PM »
Iris reticulata harmony ?

PeterT

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »
Thankyou Janis, from me too.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »

I always think it's a nice one Michael. I reckon mine will need another couple of weeks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »

I always think it's a nice one Michael. I reckon mine will need another couple of weeks.
We should be so lucky! Much longer for us in Aberdeen.  :( Thanbk goodness for photos like this to share. Just seeing that colour makes  me feel better. So cold here!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal