We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2011  (Read 15833 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Helleborus 2011
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:38 PM »
Been busy there David - very nice

Thanks Ian. What's very pleasing to a Yorkshireman is that none of the ones I bought cost me more than £6.99
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

alpinelover

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Some Helleborus orientalis hybrids in the garden.
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

Joseph

« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2011, 06:28:57 AM »
Dave and Frankie, all very nice plants.

I also like the torquatus very much but I think that many regard these as an acquired taste preferring the bigger and more colourful ones ;) I find the species particularly slow to grow and very fussy about conditions.

Ian, I agree on all fronts. They are small and sometimes fussy. Statistically though, yours is exceptional.  ;)

Still early here, but here's an interesting and large-flowered hybrid bred by Marietta O'Byrne.

Middle Tennessee, USA. Hot summers, erratic winters. Far from ideal, but somehow the plants grow.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »
Hellebores are among my favorite plants! No less after seeing these magnificent plants in this thread ;D
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
Dave and Frankie, all very nice plants.

I also like the torquatus very much but I think that many regard these as an acquired taste preferring the bigger and more colourful ones ;) I find the species particularly slow to grow and very fussy about conditions.

Ian, I agree on all fronts. They are small and sometimes fussy. Statistically though, yours is exceptional.  ;)

Still early here, but here's an interesting and large-flowered hybrid bred by Marietta O'Byrne.

Joseph interesting what is the parentage do you know? It looks like some double vesicarius on steroids  ;D

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Joseph

« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2011, 06:10:22 AM »
On the tag, it says something like "From double green with purple and veined back." I bought it in Oregon last year. Some tags give the specific cross and some don't. I have a few of these in this general range. Some mention torquatus. I think what they've done is produced large hybrids with torquatus-like markings. The doubles in this range are called 'Jade Tiger' and the singles are called 'Jade Star'. I think most of their pollinations are now crosses between hybrids in these strains rather than with species.

Middle Tennessee, USA. Hot summers, erratic winters. Far from ideal, but somehow the plants grow.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2011, 07:09:19 AM »
Some absolute crackers of plants in here.  Brilliant.  Too many nice ones to mention most of them, but I do have to comment on that double torquatus look shown by Joseph.  Totally unlike anything else I've ever seen.  :o

Thanks all.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
A few Helleborus Ashwoods hybs in bloom here .

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2011, 09:46:33 PM »
A few more. Sorry two of them are a bit fuzzy.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
A grand selection Michael. 
The hellebore flowers are just beginning to open here.Just as well most are downward facing or they'd be drowned.  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »
Michael,

wonderfull flowers!

Here is a seedling that just popped up, as they do.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:13 PM »
Lovely seedling Jamie.

What a stunning collection Michael.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »
Nothing as stunning as the wonderful hybrids shown above but here some H. x hybridus are flowering also:

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
Nice, Wim,

as well as the other shots you have posted today.  Looks like I'm less than a week behind you in season.

I notice you cut your Helliborus right to the ground.  Do you do this in Autumn?  Winter?  Does it effect bloom at all?  Doesn't look to be a problem.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »
Nice, Wim,

as well as the other shots you have posted today.  Looks like I'm less than a week behind you in season.

I notice you cut your Helliborus right to the ground.  Do you do this in Autumn?  Winter?  Does it effect bloom at all?  Doesn't look to be a problem.

Thanks, Jamie.

I cut them down to the ground in winter. Normally somewhere in January. It doesn't effect the blooming at all and I think it looks tidier and it gives a clearer view of the flowers.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal