We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings  (Read 264813 times)

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
Re: Germinating now- - photos of seedlings
« Reply #1275 on: April 04, 2022, 06:01:38 PM »
So it [Codonopsis clematidia] prefers to be surface sown then. Observations like this are very useful - thanks!

Yes, I had a lot of seed from the same (2020) seed lot, equal amounts in each pot.  Not surprisingly, the surface sowed seed emerged five days earlier.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #1276 on: April 06, 2022, 07:32:38 AM »
 about Codonopsis, I have 5 species that have germinated well (forrestii, clematidea, tangshen , subscaposa and lanceolata) on the surface effectively, and not even covered with gravel, but the last one C. ussuriensis refuses to germinate. does anyone have any idea why?

on the other hand, for C. forrestii (and related), it's the 4th time I've sown it, I can't get this plant to grow after germination, although I've already seen a post where it was flowering the year of sowing. I've already seen a post where it bloomed the year of sowing. At home it always remains tiny and I don't know why, but I'm stubborn...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

MarcR

« Reply #1277 on: April 06, 2022, 01:46:46 PM »
Véronique,

Codonopsis ussuriensis usually germinates easily, within 6 weeks, at 20C when surface sown.

If you are having difficulty you might have a bad batch of seed.

Is there any chance the seed was subjected to X ray in transit?

C. forrestii is quite hardy once it is established; but young seedlings need to be kept above 15C to develop properly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:59:23 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

MarcR

« Reply #1278 on: April 06, 2022, 02:58:23 PM »

Within a couple of weeks the whole lot had germinated.  Seems seed does not always have to be fresh.

Very true!  In fact, many species, especially in Iridaceae, will only germinate after 6 months or more of dry storage.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 

MarcR

« Reply #1279 on: April 06, 2022, 03:20:07 PM »
My siningia sellowiana seed germinated all at once.  I have about 60 seedlings under 2mm tall.

I planted 5 of them out to test their hardiness. Our night temperatures are running about 0.5C. They have been out for 3 nights and all 5 are still with us.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Carolyn

« Reply #1280 on: April 06, 2022, 06:38:10 PM »
Véronique,

Codonopsis ussuriensis usually germinates easily, within 6 weeks, at 20C when surface sown.

If you are having difficulty you might have a bad batch of seed.

Is there any chance the seed was subjected to X ray in transit?

C. forrestii is quite hardy once it is established; but young seedlings need to be kept above 15C to develop properly.

Marc,
An interesting question, have the seeds been subject to X rays. I have often wondered this about seeds from overseas, when I get poorer germinations than expected. I remember one batch of seeds, from the NZ Alpine Garden Society, which was particularly disappointing. X rays, or extremes of temperature in the aircraft? Other times, the seeds have been fine, in fact I have just recently had some nice wild-collected NZ celmisias germinate (SRGC seed exchange).
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

MarcR

« Reply #1281 on: April 06, 2022, 07:40:47 PM »
Véronique,

That seems like the only reasonable reason for your troubles.

Codonopsis ussuriensis is not a difficult specie to germinate.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

MarcR

« Reply #1282 on: April 06, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »
Carolyn,

"Marc,
An interesting question, have the seeds been subject to X rays. I have often wondered this about seeds from overseas, when I get poorer germinations than expected. I remember one batch of seeds, from the NZ Alpine Garden Society, which was particularly disappointing. X rays, or extremes of temperature in the aircraft? Other times, the seeds have been fine, in fact I have just recently had some nice wild-collected NZ celmisias germinate (SRGC seed exchange)."

This is one of the reasons USA developed the small lots permit.
Gardening and the businesses that support it are a significant segment of our economy. With a Small Lots permit seeds are not subject to X ray and other techniques used by customs to detect contraband.

It seems that Gardening and related businesses are also a significant sector of the British economy. Perhaps British gardeners could band together to pressure your government to develop something similar.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:14:21 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Carolyn

« Reply #1283 on: April 06, 2022, 10:51:35 PM »
Marc,
Having been involved with the seed exchange for several years, I can tell you that the US system of small lots permits causes us a lot of extra work and trouble! And sending seeds from another country to the USA, there is no guarantee that that country will not use X-ray at airport security.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

MarcR

« Reply #1284 on: April 07, 2022, 02:27:24 AM »
Carolyn,

I didn't realize that the permits were troublesome to shippers.  For us they are much less problematic than Phyto certificates. and our seeds arrive usually considerably quicker.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 06:35:06 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #1285 on: April 07, 2022, 10:09:39 AM »
Unfortunately, this is what I suspected, and it's sad because I was excited to get this species. I have been doing well here with Codonopis lanceolata for several years.

do letters between individuals containing a few packets of undeclared and unlicensed seeds have a chance of reaching their destination without complications, for example between America and Europe or between England and Europe, or are we all confined to our own territories as far as seed exchanges are concerned?
X-rays seem to be a problem. and it's true that this species was present for the first time in the list for several years.
It might also explain why my 3 kinds of Mutisia don't germinate either :-[

MarcR

« Reply #1286 on: April 07, 2022, 04:54:31 PM »
The biggest problem with Mutisia is empty seedcoats. Viable seed should look plump.

They need 2 weeks at 4C then move to 20C. They are inconsistent about whether they want light or dark  at 20C so divide the seed and try both ways.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Jeffnz

« Reply #1287 on: April 07, 2022, 08:55:54 PM »
I had not considered the impact of X-rays on seed viability.
I have had a bad experience when seed was subjected to fumigation, zero germination, which was unfortunate as it was a large number of hellebore seed packets. There are other factors that would impact upon germination but usually a few seeds do germinate albeit at a lower rate than local seed. Our government agricultural inspection agency still use methyl bromide as the fumigant.

I assume that all postage to us is now subject to X-ray scanning. There must be a declaration on the outer envelope of seeds sent to a recipient here  here stating
that the contents are seeds. This is supposed to trigger an inspection of the contents a upon arrival at the border. However quite often small deliveries even with the outer envelope statement often come through without being overbed for inspection.  May just be luck of the draw.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #1288 on: April 08, 2022, 06:09:00 AM »
I don't have any pictures to show but I did manage to get 2 germinations of Caiophora lateritia (I already tried it without success years ago, and this is the first time I got a germination) and also about 20 Lobelia tupa.  :D
They are such tiny seeds...
I would be very satisfied if they grow, it takes so long at the beginning...

MarcR

« Reply #1289 on: April 08, 2022, 07:18:11 AM »

I would be very satisfied if they grow, it takes so long at the beginning...

It has been said that 'patience is a virtue'. It seems that gardening is likely the most pleasant way to set about learning patience.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal