We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2011  (Read 72049 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Hepatica 2011
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
My first Hepatica flower for 2011

Hepatica nobilis rubra plena

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Hepatica 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:40:37 PM »
My first Hepatica flower for 2011  Hepatica nobilis rubra plena  

Nice one to start the season, Michael.  It's one I have always found difficult, not sure why.  
Here's my first proper one (not counting odd precocious autumn flowers)

Hepatica "Togen" or is it "Tougen"? apparently means Pink Fountain
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
I won't tell my poor frozen hepaticas in the garden about these photos.... no need to stress them more than is necessary.

I've been following the posts about non- flowering Hepaticas in the Alpine L pages....... for which all sorts of reasons are being put forward.... so far no-one has asked if the owners of the non-flowering types are sure their plants are not floweering at all, or if, as so often happens here, the tiny buds are being devoured by slugs almost before they are visible to the naked eye!  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 06:43:40 PM »
Wow, quite early "birds" you have there Michael and Diane - no signe of Hepatica Flowers here for another few weeks/months I guess...  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 08:09:57 PM »
Absolutely beautiful Diane!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
I won't tell my poor frozen hepaticas in the garden about these photos.... no need to stress them more than is necessary.

I've been following the posts about non- flowering Hepaticas in the Alpine L pages....... for which all sorts of reasons are being put forward.... so far no-one has asked if the owners of the non-flowering types are sure their plants are not floweering at all, or if, as so often happens here, the tiny buds are being devoured by slugs almost before they are visible to the naked eye!  ::)

Maggie,I think that you have hit the nail right on the head.I posed the question on the forum two years ago as to what could be damaging the early flowers on my hepaticas but no one suggested that it could be slugs.Having inspected my plants earlier today which are just beginning to awaken from their dormancy I noticed once again that the first flowers have eaten petals and on closer examination the tiny buds in the crown of the plant have been damaged.This accounts for the flowers having damaged flowers when they eventually open.I never thought of slugs but now you have mentioned it I am sure that they are the culprits but it is the tiny babies that are responsible and they are almost invisible.It's not until you handle the pots that you come accross them sometimes clung to the side of the pots and they stick to your hands that you become aware of their presence.The problem is how to attack them ?
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:56:52 PM »
Yes John, I know exactly what you mean about those tiny slugs.... voracious little bandits and no mistake .
For plant in pots I suppose there is no remedy other than pellets or pesticde drenches, but that's not the safest solution( pardon the pun) for all of us.
Where did I read about copper coins being stuck in round the edge of troughs etc recently to deter slugs and snails? Because the culprits may also be retreating under the soil I suppose a few pennies scattered acros the surface might be an idea, too. It could certainly be worth a try... though it will look odd, I know.

I have been certain for years that we are getting tiny flower buds chewed right away on hepatica in the garden.Utterly infuriating.

It is all too easy for the buds to be long gone before one has even spotted them, especially if the plants are in the open garden and one would have to get right down to examine them closely.  I venture to suggest that not many of us are still able to see s the tiniest growing buds from standing height.... even MY standing height!

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »
That's why I have to handle the pots Maggie.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »
But not everybody would bother too, John.... it's that sort of attention to detail that makes for a better grower.... paying close mind to what is happening with the plants and actually checking them for intruders.... it's a lot of work, but it must pay off (even if you do have some bother) because we've seen your flowring  displays and  they show you are on the  ball!

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »

Maggi last winter my hepaticas survived -25 2 weeks without snow. Believe in them!
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Gerry Webster

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
I too have found that small slugs are responsible for damage to hepaticas in troughs or planted out. Rarely in pots under cover. I've never tried copper coins & I believe there are commercially available copper bands which are said to be deterrents.  I suspect that, just as in the case of grit, ashes & other supposed remedies,  slugs will ignore them.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »
Olga, do you have some Hepatica japonica types? I would like to house all my hepaticas in a plunge frame outside, but we were -14C, and I wouldn't want to lose any.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »
here I have Hepatica japonica outside the last 5 years and the last 2 years we had winters with -14 and they all survive, I think that you will have problems if they have no good drainage,
here two pics from the first who flowers here, I think it is one of my best red ones grown in pot in the cold greenhouse
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »
Chris, that red would be one of anybody's "best" I think..... we love the clear colour and the contrast stamens.
It is heartening to hear of these Heps. surving outside in so many places.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »
Thank you, Chris, and what a wonderful red!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal