We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: primula euprepes  (Read 5692 times)

manicbotanic

primula euprepes
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
hello .dont know much about primulas but seen this listed and it looks most exciting..anyone growing it or has any info/pics?thanks.sean

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: primula euprepes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
Dig around.... There's been at least a discussion or two and some amazing pictures posted to the forum.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
And some great pictures on Pam Eveleigh's Primula World website. It seems to vary from deep pluumy red, to BLACK!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »
Primula euprepes is available commercially in the UK, from the Rankins at Kevock.
http://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/store/product/45d2d261-9bd6-4791-8409-b8ccbf5c8ae4.aspx
I believe these have been micropropped which has resulted in more availability and affordability.  I'm not sure yet how this propagation method has affected the plants, mine certainly look strong and healthy but are yet to flower.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:08:28 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Roma

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:20:04 PM »
I had seed from the SRGC seed exchange last year but no germination so far.  Has anyone on the Forum grown it from seed?
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
Hi Roma, are you out of hibernation now we had minus 9c today so think I will go back to bed.  Cyril grew quite a few of this primula from seed and I have a number of plants hope still o?k under the snow. I showed the plants to John Richards who said they were maybe correct most likely not,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
I have grown three from the seed exchange last year but now all leaves are dry  ??? Hope they will grow up again in spring  :-\
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Roma

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
Hi Ian, -6 here yesterday and -3.4 today.  A bit more snow this morning but melted a bit during the day.  Hope your primula seedlings are euprepes.  It is an amazing colour!  As far as I remember the only plants I have seen on the showbench were those shown by the Rankins.  I hope it is amenable to cultivation and gets spread around.

Lucky you, Nicole.  I still have the seed pot so maybe by the end of March if things have thawed out I might have some germination, though primulas usually germinate the first season after sowing. :-\

Graham Catlow

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
Hi
I bought one from the Rankins in 2009 and got it through last winter but it didn't flower.
I have noticed today that it has succumbed to the weather this year. :'(
Bo'ness. Scotland

robg

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
I've just bought one of these from David R's open garden day.  It's looks are stunning - fortunately SWDA ("She Who Decides All") was equally smitten and the purchase was authorised !!!

Bit concerned that Graham Catlow lost his through this past winter, and he lives only a few miles away; any advise on making sure it survives ?

Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Graham Catlow

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »
Hi Rob,
I was at the Kevock open day this lunch time.
I think I had it too wet and the frosts were too severe before I had chance to put it somewhere undercover. There had been a nice covering of moss on the surface of the pot and I didn't like to remove it so I assume it attracted too much moisture and that was the problem. I must be more careful with my new acquisition.
Bo'ness. Scotland

robg

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »
Thanks Graham - we made it a bit later and just in time to get one of these.  This was a bit more than I normally can justify for anything that is not a shrub ! ;)

Do I take it that the recommendation is to keep it in a pot rather than planting out ?  I haven't done a search to see what conditions it likes yet, but am hoping that it will like a damp area next to my pond that it is full sunlight.

Rob
Rob Graham, Edinburgh

Roma

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
I bought the last one for sale at Nottingham after dithering all weekend as I too am not very keen on paying a lot for herbaceous plants.  I hope I can keep it alive.  I think it has more than one shoot so was planning to split it and plant out one part and repot the other.  I have two very small seedlings recently germinated from 2010 sown seed so hope they are correct and I can grow them on to maturity.  There was actually a third seedling in the pot, but it was a larch tree.  Hazard of living close to a wood.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »
There were a couple planted out at Kevock but not near the pool or stream. They were a litle further up. I'm not sure what the soil conditions were like but they were in the open and the sun was shining on them.

I plan to keep mine in a pot so I can move it if i think I need to. Will certainly get it under cover this Autumn ready for the winter.

I got mine a couple of months ago and it is still small, (was in a 9cm pot), and not of flowering size yet.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal