Specific Families and Genera > Iris

Forced Germination - preparing onco seed

<< < (2/9) > >>

Maggi Young:
Folks, I've split this most interesting thread off to make it stand out.

See also here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=847.0

PeterT:
Once one knows a trick and can do it it becomes easy though of course things can go wrong!
Tom I shall grow the seedlings in my kitchen for the first few months. It gets no direct sun  and is quite a cold room. The problem with oncos is how to create good growing conditions for mature plants- I desperately need more space for frames next winter!- any one with space I can use locally??
 The seedlings are extra delicate produced this way, I shall post some pictures of the procedure I use for dealing with them.
Thankyou for the compliments Jamie, Fred, Tom, - Maggie I thought people might be interested in seeing this 'reliable' method of germinating onco seed. I have germinated them tradditionally and it can be done that way.
I think over 50% have started germinating before cold treatment, I feel this is exceptional, I would have expected about 10%. Possiably it's due to not keeping the hot water tank hot all the time -so the temperature has fluctuated. about 2% have developed mould and been discarded, taking pictures probably cost in hygene, so did running out of boiled water for the perlite and hunger.
The species I am germinating include acutiloba forms, paradoxa forms, barnumae forms, ibericas, meda, gatesii and some more southern species too.
I have also cut a few Juno seeds as an experiment and some pogons( junonia and trojana), one lot of trojana has started so far.
 There is no pattern by type of onco as to which species have germinated quickley. nor is there a pattern according to the age of the seed. Some I sowed 5 years ago, and after no germination for three years I gave up and sived the seed out of the compost. It has sat on a table for two years and has now started to germinate. some is this seasons seeds. I have not kept any of it in the refridgerator.
Jaimie, if you don't cut enough off the seed the wound heals over and the scab prevents germination, the scab can be cut off to allow the process to work. I have done so successfully.
Every seed is different and one has to use instinct on how much to cut, but I agree with Jamie that I like to see the hole in the centre of the cut.

JohnLonsdale:
The small white dot you refer to as "the little hole into the endosperm" is actually the embryo.  You need to be careful not to slice off too much of the embryo or you will negatively affect root formation and also risk expelling the embryo.  The increased hydrostatic pressure exerted inside the fully hydrated seed will push it out like a pencil lead.

Best,

John

Hans A.:
Fantastic pics Peter! :o
Thanks for showing the procedure!
Just to keep in mind - there is another very interesting thread about germination Iris where among many other grower Rafa and John show superb pictures about forced germination: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=847.0

LucS:
Peter if I understand you well, you cut of the aril plus a small amount of the seedbody itself ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version