Specific Families and Genera > Iris

Forced Germination - preparing onco seed

<< < (8/9) > >>

Yann:
Almost one year passed and here're the babies.
I also used seramis as medium and the results are better than in perlite.

Maggi Young:
Bob Nold  has  sent this  document  of his  work with the Forced method of  Aril Iris Seed Germination

It's a pdf - click here to download it 

Thank you, Bob!

penstemon:
Sure.
How ironic it is that the seedlings do much better for me when planted out in the garden rather than grown inside.....

Maggi Young:
 I think a new thread, on 'Invitro culture of rescued Oncocyclus embryos'  will make  a fine companion to this one  - see it  here :
  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=14058.0   

Mini bulb lover:
These posts are very helpful! I've never grown Onco irises from seed before. After sourcing some seed (Iris mariae), reading these posts and Bob Nold's forced germination document I decided to give it try.

It's early days but it seems to be working. After soaking the seed for two days (tap water with a drop of dish washing detergent) I cut the seeds on March 1st (start of autumn). The seeds are stored in moist perlite in a zip-lock plastic bag in a dark cupboard.

The first picture was taken March 9th. There had been an outline of the embryo before but this was the first date that it could be seen protruding. The other photos are from March 9th and 13th.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version