We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FARRER MEDAL DOUBLE SUCCESS - a first for Scotland  (Read 3811 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
FARRER MEDAL DOUBLE SUCCESS - a first for Scotland
« on: November 26, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »

Unique Farrer Medal Success for a Scottish Grower......the New SRGC President

The well-known and very popular grower, Ian Christie, took centre stage at this year's Joint SRGC / AGS autumn show at Ponteland. His wonderful plant of Gentiana 'Limelight' beat everything else on the benches to win the AGS equivalent of a Forrest medal - a Farrer* medal. (* In alternate years a Forrest or a Farrer medal is awarded at our joint shows at Blackpool, Hexham and Ponteland)

726-0
 Ian with Farrer Award Plant
Ian was presented with his medal by John Richards, the retiring AGS President and Ponteland show secretary Mike Dale commented on how appropriate it was that Ian, who had then been nominated as SRGC President, won the top prize.

728-1
Gentiana  ‘Limelight’
Sandy Leven writes:
"G. 'Limelight' is white flowered but the streaks on the outside of the petals, which are seen most prominently on the new buds, are green. The mixture of green and white gives the plant its distinct colouration and name. It is a wonderful plant, raised by Ian at his nursery at Westmuir by Kirriemuir. In October at the Discussion Weekend show at Pitlochry it had more success when the RHS Joint Rock Garden Plant Committee recommended a Preliminary Commendation as a plant for exhibition. Then it was at the RHS Gentian Day at Harrogate where it was much admired by other members of the RHS Committee. During its progress it just got better and better despite innumerable flowers having been removed."

730-2
The very attractive Farrer medal of the Alpine Garden Society.

Named for the famed plant hunter and writer, Reginald Farrer,  the Farrer medal rarely comes north of the border. It is a handsome trophy, a hefty weight of silver ( circa 8ozs), with Farrer’s likeness on the face and a really lovely relief of  alpine gentians on the reverse. The gentians  may seem particularly appropriate in this instance but, of course, the Alpine Garden Society has as its emblem the beautiful  Gentiana acaulis.

Ian's Double First
Ian is unique in Scotland in that he has won a Farrer medal both as a competitor in the open classes of a show and also a Professional Farrer for a plant in his nursery exhibit at a show. Ian won his Professional Farrer in  September 2000, also at the Ponteland show.  It is pleasing that with his wife Anne’s family connections to the area, this is a show which has such happy associations for Ian.
Ian’s Professional Farrer medal was won with the charming Gentiana ‘Blue Silk’, bred by Keith Lever of Aberconwy Nursery.  A photo of the actual award plant is not available but we can show the variety.

732-3

Gentiana Blue Silk

Ian's skills, generosity and sense of humour are all brought together in this shot by Sandy Leven of Ian, the winning Limelight, and  the van of fellow SRGC/AGS member and nurseryman, Peter Foley of Holden Clough !
734-4

This post has been compiled by MY and SL in tribute to the quiet man from Kirriemuir.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: FARRER MEDAL DOUBLE SUCCESS - a first for Scotland
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:19:37 PM »
I'd like to record my thanks to :
Trevor Jones in England for his Farrer Medal photo,
to Ian Christie because I pinched his pic of G. Blue Silk and to Sandy Leven for the other photos and the quotes from his show reports.
Thanks too, to Jim Almond for his offer to use one of the plant pix from his website :http://freespace.virgin.net/almond.jim/

Don't be angry with me for this, Mr President, you deserve the plaudits!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 07:35:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
Re: FARRER MEDAL DOUBLE SUCCESS - a first for Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:16:03 AM »
Hi Maggie Sandy and all, I was chuffed to win the Farrer but I know so many of you out in the big wide world grow plants every bit  as good as mine and often much better, it was sheer luck that the gentians performed on the day so to speak, I guess this is the difficult part as usually plants are either a week late or early. Many thanks for all the pictures I am sure everyone will have seen enough pictures of me to last for Three years,  cheers Ian.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:57:29 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal