We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris acutiloba cultivation in a very wet climate  (Read 1039 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Iris acutiloba cultivation in a very wet climate
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:56:51 PM »
Rightio --a query for the experts ;D

I have a well advanced seedling of Iris acutiloba coming along and wondered what sort of practice i should follow--i presume i will have to grow it under cover with particular attention to summer moisture ?.

A season by season list of requirements would be great .....ie when to dry off --storage etc etc .
I realise i can probably obtain most of the info via the 'net' however i would prefer a personal experience from a fellow forum member.

Ta
Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

arilnut

Re: Iris acutiloba cultivation in a very wet climate
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:14:45 AM »
Hi Dave. You should ask Pat T. She should have the best advice for downunder. I would put
them in a raised gravel bed over subsoil that has nutrients for the roots to get to. And since
you only have a few oncos cover them when the leaves start to turn brown in late spring
or summer. I am growing them in beds that require more work and preparation so I won't have
to cover them as I am growing a lot of the species.

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

arillady

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:20:55 AM »
Dave,
My own personal experience is that when we get the early autumn rain - around March April the arils start into growth, ideally they could be covered during winter so that they get light but little moisture and then in spring let them get natural rainfall while coming up to, flowering, and a few weeks later. November I prefer to let them start to dry out by covering them again or hoping that rain stays away so that they get a baking during summer. You would need to cover them later as they would flower later for you.
I will do a picture search and see when my plants flowered. Late November for acutiloba ssp lineolata.
With our unusual extra rainfall in summer this year I have decided to cover some, dig some, and those that seem to have coped well in the past leave insitu.
When covering in summer leave a good airflow - raise the cover about 20cm above the ground level - and leave sides open.
I store them in paper bags on trays but small rhizomes can be lost so maybe kept in pots of course sand with a tiny amount of water over summer would be better.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:07:09 AM »
Thanks John.

Also to you Pat for the detailed idea info on how to cope with conditions down under.

Will keep you posted on any success ........ :D

Cheers Dave
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal