We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 49  (Read 1176 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Bulb Log 49
« on: December 12, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »
Ian - I was surprised to see that you grow a Mutisia and how happy it appears to be in Aberdeen.  Do you know which species it is?  Is it fully evergreen? Which are the hardiest species and are they as shy at producing viable seed as Chilaeflora suggests?

I think I tried sprouting one of them in the past without success.

johnw
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:51:00 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb Log 49
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:23:18 AM »
John
We grow just one Mutisia it is an oligidon hybrid that came originally from Colonel and Brenda Anderson who were pioneers of introducing the South American flora to their Perthshire garden.
It is ever green and fully hardy for us over - it grows so vigorously that I have to take the hedge shears to it in the late winter early spring.
It does set some viable seed and we find the odd self sown seedling but I suspect as with a lot of daisies a lot of the seed it produces in not fertile.
I will have a look and see if there are any seeds still on the plants - I have also rooted it from cuttings.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal