We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Email notification of new posts to the Forum  (Read 9398 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Email notification of new posts to the Forum
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:18:31 PM »
 This topic split off from another page to keep it easier to find! edit by Maggi

I saw that post when it was still in the November thread and at that stage (until yesterday) the Dec one hadn't appeared in my inbox. I'm missing a terrible lot of stuff recently. I wish there is a button to push for "Notify EVERYTHING" by way of new threads.

Bad couple of weeks, one way and another.

John's post reminds me that I must get long-handled tweezers out today for the seed on Erinacea anthyllis. Not looking forward to it and I usually chicken out. ???
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:19:31 AM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Email notification of new posts to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »
Maggi, I saw that post when it was still in the November thread and at that stage (until yesterday) the Dec one hadn't appeared in my inbox. I'm missing a terrible lot of stuff recently. I wish there is a button to push for "Notify EVERYTHING" by way of new threads.
Can you not just use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link (top right of page) for that Lesley?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »
Maggi, I saw that post when it was still in the November thread and at that stage (until yesterday) the Dec one hadn't appeared in my inbox. I'm missing a terrible lot of stuff recently. I wish there is a button to push for "Notify EVERYTHING" by way of new threads.

Lesley, there is an option for the next best thing, go to the main SRGC Board, such as "Flowers and Foliage Now", click on the Notify button, it'll ask if you want notification for the entire board, select Yes... hopefully that'll work to get those monthly incremented types of topics you're missing out on.  You could do this for each of the main SRGC boards if you like, to effective achieve the "Notify EVERYTHING" scenario you are looking for.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?board=3.0
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
Can you not just use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link (top right of page) for that Lesley?

Exactly Gail, that's what I do.  And if I see a new topic that interests me, I launch it, then click the Notify button to get my email alerts for that topic.  Works for me.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:11:44 AM »
i don't use any email alerts at all, i just visit the home page and see which topics have new activity...
of course there are far more of them than i have time to look at, but i just pick the ones i am interested in...

Roma

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
I'm very nosy and check the whole site at least once a day in case I miss something.  That's probably why I've spent nearly 44 days here.    ::)
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
I'm very nosy and check the whole site at least once a day in case I miss something.
Well I must be very nosy too!  It doesn't take long to click through all the latest unread posts and just read the ones you are interested in. 8)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »
Lesley, your profile preferences are n NOT SET to revceive notifications fron these threads:   Plant Information and Portraits  -     Travel / Places to Visit   -  Galanthus  -   Amaryllidaceae  -   Hepatica - Pleione and Orchidaceae

As has been mentioned before, if one doesn't wish to enable email notification from all the threads  there is a simple alternative:  at the foot of the home pa ge of the Forum there is a section: Scottish Rock Garden Club Forum - Info Center - click on the plus +sign beside that to open up this area.... you will find then a choice to   "View the most recent posts on the forum."
and on clicking on that option  you will be shown lists of the most recent posts on the Forum.... going  back 10 pages worth, or over one hundred posts....  8) ... how far back in time that takes one is  governed by how busy the Forum has been, of course.... it can be only one day! But it is an easy way to see which threads are  most active at any one time.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:05:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:43 PM »
I've tried the "posts since last visit" but it only shows those on the notified topics. My problem is that many topics disappear as notified. For instance, I've not had a Galanthus notifucation or for any Iris topic for two years yet certainly had clicked on notify. Having found the Iris ones again, I've clicked "notify" but they've disappeared again, so again, back to the index. I'll try your suggestion Mark and see what comes up. I saw in the Index that Puzzles had had a post just yesterday but again, didn't arrive with me, even though it's a topic I enjoy. I'm sure at one stage very early on in this newer Forum, I had a notify everything option and remember that I sometimes had 100 or more posts in my inbox. Not to everyone's taste, but like Brian, I like to know what's going on. They're easy to delete if not of interest. Recently I'm getting just 10 or 15 posts a day and have to go back to the Index to catch up on topics and re-notify, which only lasts a day or two.

Sorry for the whining everyone. I've had a horrible couple of weeks and just want to curl up and cover my head recently. Will have to stop the self-pitying. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 07:35:06 PM »
I'm very nosy and check the whole site at least once a day in case I miss something.
Well I must be very nosy too!  It doesn't take long to click through all the latest unread posts and just read the ones you are interested in. 8)

Same here I just hate the thought of not knowing what all my forum friends are up to. I hope I can use this machine on the plane.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »
Sorry for the whining everyone. I've had a horrible couple of weeks and just want to curl up and cover my head recently. Will have to stop the self-pitying. ???

when in doubt about what is reaching your inbox, just visit the site and nothing is missing there :)
hope your next couple of weeks are better, lesley! just for you, to bring a little cheer, here is a completely off-topic (sorry southern folks!) flower from an unimaginable time of year here when such things are possible!

TheOnionMan

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 12:42:11 AM »
I've tried the "posts since last visit" but it only shows those on the notified topics.

Lesley, I wonder why this is happening for you, but I think I know what's actually going on.  I use the "Show unread posts since last visit" link at the top of the forum page all the time, the list of what it shows includes things I set notify on, as well as those that I haven't, and it shows brand new topics as well... basically I see everything that is new. 

The key wording here is "Show unread posts since last visit".  The link that says "Show unread posts since last visit" is "session based" and is not cumulative. 

Are you physically logging in and OUT of the forum, using the LOGOUT button?  If you physically LOGOUT, instead of just closing your browser tab, and you haven't checked and enacted upon unread posts, then those messages will not display again using the "Show unread posts since last visit"... it is only showing what is new since the last time you logged out; eg. a session-based listing.  Personally, I find it best to just close my browser and never logout, thus the link "Show unread posts since last visit" is always useful.  Does that make sense for you? 

On the NARGS Forum where I am head moderator and an Administrator (with awesome Maggi-like powers), I do logoff frequently, and do experience the situation where new messages are no longer listed using the "Show unread posts since last visit" link, for the reason cited.  This is a nuance of the forum software that I don't think people realize, in my opinion it is a shortcoming of the SMF forum software.  What should exist is a third link with something like "Show all unread posts... period", but such a link does not exist  :'(

There are also some useful profile settings that control how the NOTIFY button works, be sure to check it out (see image), go to your Profile > then under the Modify Profile options on the left, pick "Notifications & Email", find the option "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of:" set it to  Replies and Moderation.  If it is set for any of the other options, you will not get all of the notifications you expect.  I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:14:47 AM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
Mark, thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to sort out my problems. I'll read your various notes carefully and see what I can do. I'm always logged in, never log out so I don't think it's that.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 02:59:31 AM »
Mark, thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to sort out my problems. I'll read your various notes carefully and see what I can do. I'm always logged in, never log out so I don't think it's that.

Oh shucks, I was hoping that the physical logout aspect was the answer for you.  Have you tried a different internet browser?  What browser do you use, I use both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6.x, but find Firefox in general has a lot less problems and weirdness than Internet Explorer, so I use Firefox almost exclusively now.  If more discussion on this, maybe best if Maggi could move this to the computer issues topic (can't remember actual topic name).  There have been a couple people who have asked about similar problems on NARGS, but in those cases I do believe it has to do with the login/logout aspect.

It should also be noted that I have found defacto buggy behavior in the "Notify" function.  Sometimes when I set a topic to Notify, it does not ever send me an email notification.  On the reverse, there are topics I no longer wish to get notified on (like a couple Galanthus topics earlier this year :-X) and no matter what, even though I turned Notify off for that topic (and I tried repeatedly), it would not turn off and I received endless notifications anyways.  Part of the problem might be that both the SRGC and NARGS are on an earlier version of the forum software (ver. 1.1.11), and maybe if the forum(s) ever get upgraded to a newer release, it would cure a few of the known bugs.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »
 I wrote: Lesley, your profile preferences are   NOT SET to revceive notifications fron these threads:   Plant Information and Portraits  -Travel / Places to Visit   -  Galanthus  -   Amaryllidaceae  -   Hepatica - Pleione and Orchidaceae

I've tried the "posts since last visit" but it only shows those on the notified topics.
Lesley, I wonder why this is happening for you, but I think I know what's actually going on.

Folks, I already gave the reasons why Lesley is not receiving the notifications she mentioned.  There were boards she had not activated for notification.

I do not doubt that there are many bits and bobs that various people would like to see altered in some way re forum working but the fact of the matter is that what we have works for most of us, most of the time. In this world that is fine by me!

I will move the posts relating to this subject to a more appropriate thread.
These are  the sorts of subjects which are raised from time to time and are usually dealt with in the topic they are raised... BUT, I must stress that  pretty much all of all these questions  can be addressed by reading the pages under
the forum HELP button..... there's often a clue, folks!  ;)

The HELP section of the forum  is accessed via the HELP button, second left in the row of options near the top of each forum page.

Each forumist has considerable freedom to change for themselves the way the forum operates  by making changes to their PROFILE, accessed by the button fourth left in that row of buttons.   ;)

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:26:50 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal