We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: looking for coffee seeds  (Read 2769 times)

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Re: looking for coffee seeds
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »
I have some ripe fruit on a large, 2m+  Kona coffee tree. Stephen I did not realize the fruit were edible. I'll try some when I get to the greenhouse in the morning. And the fragrance in flower is amazing. Over all I find them very easy to grow in the house.

Aaron

Wow, a 2m coffee plant!! Must be a sight in bloom! I have a note that Kona in particular makes a good house plant and can be used in Bonzai!

It's rather strange that juice from the berries isn't marketed as it must otherwise be a waste product. The berries also contain caffeine. Coffee juice from the ripe fruits is apparently popular in some African countries where it is also fermented to a wine. Imagine that - wine with caffeine... The leaves are also brewed into a kind of tea (qut'i in Ethiopia). The leaves contain higher levels of caffeine than the beans/seeds!

I also have a note that Kona coffee fruit makes "a very richly flavored, fairly acid and overwhelmingly aromatic beverage"
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 05:15:43 PM »
 It flowered and set fruit but not enough for a pot of coffee. 

I exaggerated a bit....
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

ILoveMyPlants

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
its true maggi no where eles it is popular so i can see your point and the 4 years it takes :D

hi cohan nearly most types of plants can be grown indoors what you will need is a good setup

if u find out the photo period of the plants this is how  it can be worked im sure a coffee plant is 14 hour lights off during flowering but check as i may be wrong

if your doing this with natural sun then photo period will happen alone i would go with the grow setup as with light this can mean

mass production of a plant
better supervision
and i may be wrong but im sure u can flower it yourself but changing the lights time for on and off

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 08:09:59 PM »
My plant flowers in 24 hours light here as it flowers mid-summer :) (it doesn't get dark)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:28:18 PM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway

ILoveMyPlants

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »
intresting stephen i didnt think this was possible :D the joy of autoflowering hehe

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal