We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Holubec seed list  (Read 9330 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Holubec seed list
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »
too bad about paypal; i've only used it a couple of times, and it was easy and without problems for those very limited transactions;
it just seems in this electronic age, there must be a better alternative to expensive bank drafts and risky envelopes stuffed with bills :(

i've noticed some vendors seem to have some sort of banking information which i assume would be something like depositing to their accounts from a  bank in another country, is that correct, and has anyone used this method?

arillady

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 01:29:34 AM »
I have recently used internet international bank transfer to Czech Republic. Unfortunately I somehow did it twice so now am going through the paces of getting the second transfer back. It costs $20 Australia to do the transfer and is costing $25 for the recovery. I have sent cash in the past without problems as far as I know - in the other currency as it is only about $5 to exchange. This time it was a bit more currency involved.
I would have used paypal if it was available as I have only had one problem that was resolved fairly readily. I find paypal a god send.
Pat in South Australia
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »
ouch! that becomes pricey indeed :(

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 08:28:34 AM »
I've sent cash regularly in the past - the only payment that ever got lost was 60 £ to the UK that was sent "registered"....   :'( >:(-
After 6 months, x-phone calls and x mails, I recovered 32 € from the insurance of the Belgian Mail service...  :(  that was the maximum refund for a registered consignment.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
I use paypal quite a lot and I must say I've found it very convenient.

There are problems with any system, I suppose  and if one has come up against those one's opinion is affected accordingly.

For me and many I know, paypal is very useful indeed.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Herminarik

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »
Hello everybody,

Vojta Holubec seed list 2010/11 is just available on this address:
http://fleurs-des-montagnes.net/WSeed10.pdf

Cheers Igor.

arillady

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 09:01:45 AM »
The second payment I made using internet international transfer to the Czech Republic has arrived back in my account.  :D
Like Maggi says - it all depends on what we experience with any situation as to if we use them again.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:23 AM »
I just got a bank draft for a Czech seed order at no cost, only the exchange.  Something to do with my account allowing this... I was certainly not going to argue it! 
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

arillady

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 03:24:54 AM »
Lucky you Lori
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
Aha!  Lori, you must be 55 or older.  Canadian banks don't charge service fees
to us "senior citizens".
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Great Moravian

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
to us "senior citizens".
Fantastic. Other banks should learn how to do it in Canada. We pay naturally all charges.
Josef N.
gardening in Brno, Czechoslovakia
---
Krieg, Handel und Piraterie, dreieinig sind sie, nicht zu trennen
War, business and piracy are triune, not to separate
Goethe

Lori S.

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »
to us "senior citizens".

Hmm, they'd have to be off in their math if that was the case, but it's good to know about!  Thinking about service fees puts me in mind of something funny that I read:  People used to rob banks.  Now the banks rob you.   :o
Lori

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
Oh, Lori, if you still think that folks in banks can actually count you are too trusting  ;) I suspect that any type of arithmetical or math skills are not even expected from bank employees now.
Ian went  in to our bank  recently with three cheques of tiny amounts to pay in and the Teller used a calculator to add up the total, which was about £16..... feeble!  :'( >:(

P.S. I knew you are only 25  !  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
P.S. I knew you are only 25  !  :-*

Yeah, I wish, Maggi!!  I'm at the age where I wouldn't mind having that time to do over again! ;D

Not just math but geography too... I was a little surprised at how long it took to locate a bank in Europe from which to draw the funds, despite that I kept telling them that I did this very same transaction last year a couple of times, and that the funds were drawn from a bank in Munich.  After I explained that Munich was in Germany, it helped... then when I thought to mention that Munich was the same as "München", it went slick as a whistle!   ;D
Lori

PeterT

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »
Can anyone who has ordered Holubec seed from the UK tell me which they find the easiest way to pay? Last time I ordered seed from the Czech republic I just used to put cash in the envelope but this seems to be more risky now.

I have had great problems  trying to send money from the UK to the Czech republic. The post office said they could insure cash sent by some kind of registered mail - but not to the Czech republic. Three banks would give me a money order in Euros for a substantial fee if I cared to apply for one to their foreign currency office which would send it to my branch which would then send it on to me, the recipients were not on pay pal, I think the post office could also  give me some kind of money order for a substantial fee. My bank would also let me open a euro account from which I could send cheques -a quarterly administration fee of £25.00 to maintain the account and other charges!

I paid through German friends who transferred money on line from their German bank account to the accounts of the merchants in question. This transaction was free and apparently quite normal for them, just the way they ordinarily pay bills from day to day -with no fees or charges involved.

THE MORAL OF THE TALE IS GET A GERMAN BANK ACCOUNT OR SOME GERMAN FRIENDS

Leonid Bondarenco in Lithuania suggested to me that he may be on pay pal next year though he accepts cheques in GB Pounds   
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal