We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 45/10  (Read 1756 times)

wooden shoe

Bulb log 45/10
« on: November 10, 2010, 06:49:32 PM »
Hello Ian,

You were mentioning the problems to get Crocus sativus into flower.
On the suggestions of 2 forumists I decided to experiment with corms planted on different depths.
Quoted from 13 June 2010:
I have divided the excess C. sativus in 2 equal groups and planted 1 group at 15 cm and the other at 28 cm depth.  I added the same amount of fertiliser and they are planted side by side in sandy soil on a sunny spot under a mini peach tree . So the experiment can begin. It will probably take 2 growing seasons before a trustable verdict can be given, but I will keep keep you informed. My first findings were that the soil was still a bit moist at 15 cm, but pretty dry at 28 cm. There were also roots growing at 28 cm, if I wanted to dig any deeper I had to damage those to much.
So I had  a group at 15 cm and one other at 28 cm and several others which grow round the garden at about 7 cm.
The 15 and 28 cm group consisted of comparable groups of each 11 corms in all sizes. The 7 cm group has grown in the garden for 2 seasons, somewhere between 50-100 corms in all sizes.

-7 cm15 cm28 cm
first leaves20 Sept5 Oct26 Oct
success ratea lot70%30%
flowers10+3none

This is only the first season of the experiment. To get trustable results the plants should have at least had the time to accumulate strength during a growing season, but my first feeling says that 28 cm is to deep in my garden.
Overall I had more flowers then earlier years, probably because we had a dry and hot summer.

Maybe more results next year.
Rob

Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb log 45/10
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »
Rob

Thank you for the news of your trial, I will follow it with great interest.

I did have contact with a commercial grower of Crocus sativus in the UK who told me their method was to grow them as per potatoes. Planted deep in drills so the corm was well buried but could also get some warmth to ripen the buds in late spring and summer. Plenty of rich organic matter was mixed in at planting time.

I am pretty pleased to have one flower - that is better than I often get and I will continue to try.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal