We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What does it take to produce a seed exchange?  (Read 1835 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
What does it take to produce a seed exchange?
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
What does it take to produce a seed exchange?
Well, a POWERFUL amount of work, for sure.
There have been articles about the SRGC Seed Exchange in the Journal at various times but you might care to read Forumist Diane Clement's latest Midland Gardener's Diary in the AGS website, about the massive task she and her colleagues undertake for the AGS exchange every year.

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Midland/+November+/311/

You will see that Diane's work on this task is not limited to a few weeks as the actual seed arrives... it is an ongoing process of great dedication on her part.... rest assured that there are folks like Diane doing similar work around the world for all the Seed Exchanges of the various clubs.....  I rather think that Diane can be held to represent the most thorough and concsientious of the type.
In the SRGC, Stuart Pawley takes delivery of the seed and produces the list, Ian Pryde arranges the packeting and the Bainbridges and the Edinburgh Group cope with the distribution. There are, as Diane says, many volunteers involved in the process for all the societies - If you value the seed exes then please give a thought to all those who beaver in the background on your behalf!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: What does it take to produce a seed exchange?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »
Maggi

Having been involved in a small way with both the Cyclamen Society and Crocus Group seed exchanges, I know the hard work that is involved. 
I also know from the feedback I receive from far flung members that the work is greatly appreciated; for members not living in the UK and cannot, therefore, attend local meetings and shows, the seed exchange is very important.

Without the contribution of members' seeds there could be no seed exchange.  This is where all members can feel involved and as they are located around the world, both the SRGC and AGS benefit from an amazing variety of genus that are usually unobtainable from other sources.  Keep sending in the seed.

Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »
Wow! Such amazing dedication - thank you, thank you!   :D
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
I'm deeply impressed...  :o :o :o
I can repeat Rogan's words : Thank you, thank you, thank you..
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

maggiepie

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »
I too am very impressed at the dedication and hard work shown by all involved.
Especially Diane and Colin putting in such long hours.
I just wish I lived somewhere where I could help out.
Many thanks to all involved. :)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:59:57 PM by maggiepie »
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:35:22 PM »
What a huge task. It almost makes one feel guilty about donating seed! (I didn't this year actually, just couldn't get it cleaned in time. Sorry Diane.)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »
What a huge task. It almost makes one feel guilty about donating seed! (I didn't this year actually, just couldn't get it cleaned in time. Sorry Diane.)

Not at all!  Please keep donating, we love receiving seed (but no more this year, thanks!).  Thanks to everyone for the comments.  Before I was involved with the Seed Exchange I had no concept of what went on.  The first year I was involved and I saw all the seed together the sheer quantity of it bowled me over.  And the thought of trying to sort it all out was mind boggling.  Now it's not exactly old hat, as there's always something different and we keep trying to improve, but we know roughly what to expect.  Few people do know what goes on and I've shown it not to gain compliments but just to show what happens.   I think growing from seed is so important and I thank all the donors who bother to send in their seed.  I get quite excited when the forms start arriving and see the names of seed from all over the world. 
What did Jim Archibald say seeds were? something like "dreams in packets".  I have lots of dreams, many unrealised! 

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:18:58 PM »
I think it will be an eye opener  for many to see all that is involved, Diane... and while I know you were not fishing for compliments, it is my certain opinion that you and all the folks like you, Colin and Margaret and all the others who put in the work for the various clubs really do deserve do get recognition for your work.
For instance, I know there are folks all over the country who will be packeting seed for both AGS and SRGC..... and probably one or two other  UK organistaions as well... all vital work that is essential for the exchanges to take place.... just nice to show what their task is and give credit where it is due!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »
I think it will be an eye opener  for many to see all that is involved, Diane... and while I know you were not fishing for compliments, it is my certain opinion that you and all the folks like you, Colin and Margaret and all the others who put in the work for the various clubs really do deserve do get recognition for your work.
For instance, I know there are folks all over the country who will be packeting seed for both AGS and SRGC..... and probably one or two other  UK organistaions as well... all vital work that is essential for the exchanges to take place.... just nice to show what their task is and give credit where it is due!   

Yes, it's a massive team effort with lots of helpers that makes it all happen. 
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »
With so many professional seed collectors and small companies disapearing lately I think we cannot overrate the importance of our seedexchanges !!  :-\ :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Colin Dolding

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:05:15 PM »
Thank you for all your comments about the seed exchanges. I would just like to reiterate that although a few of us put a lot of hours in making the visible part of the exchange work, it would mean nothing if other members didn't keep donating and others help pack seed (100 boxes of 1000+ packets with the AGS this year for the main part of the exchange) and others help pick the orders.
It is one very large team effort. A big thank you to you all. :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal