We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haut Chitelet Alpine Garden (France)  (Read 81488 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Haut Chitelet Alpine Garden (France)
« Reply #270 on: June 30, 2016, 02:43:56 AM »
It's great to see Aciphylla squarrosa growing and flowering so happily, so far from home. Perhaps your altitude has something to do with that I find all the species I have tried easy enough for a couple of years but then unless I'm very careful they begin to rot off, I think because of my lowland damper conditions. I think all species are single-sexed but the Australian species may be different, as with some of their other genera we have in common, such as Coprosma.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #271 on: June 30, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »
Nice assortment of species from all over the world Philippe. I also didn't succeed with Campanula alpina, but I persevere ;) In the wild (Carpathians) I always found it with P. minima rosettes nearby, clearly not a limestone lover.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2016, 04:39:21 PM »
Very beautiful photographs Philippe - you are a true artist  :). Wonderful to see and to recall visiting Haut-Chitelet.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2016, 06:46:58 PM »
July 2016, update 4, part 1

The garden is now reaching the flowering high time. However, the fading away of Lilium pyrenaicum, generally a good indicator, also means we're now slowly beginning the end of the season. Or at least the second half, which will naturally be less flower and colourful.

Garden tour, sorted by families.

Campanula chamissonis

Campanula ledebouriana var.pulvinata.

An interesting plant from the difficult complex of these charming little caucasian Campanulas ( C.saxifraga, bellidifolia...) This one bears relatively huge flowers of good form and colour, making it sufficiently different from the others to be worth planted in the bed. It is now in association with the low growing Papaver lisae, both flowering together, creating a pleasant mix of pastel orange and soft lilac flowers.

Campanula pulla

Esatern Alps and unmistaken with its deep violet hanging bells. It may look frail, but wanders freely in any open but moisture retentive soil.

Phyteuma orbiculare.

Everybody knows it. I personaly ended up thinking there was not enough of these adorable blue comma shaped flowers in the Alps bed. That plant has got an incredible ornemental potential. Even if the flowering time doesn't last very long, there are so many association possibilities to get interesting scenes.

Phyteuma vagneri

These almost black flowers open doors to even more plant association ideas to get the Carpathians bed really attractive at that time.

NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Philippe

« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2016, 06:47:13 PM »
July 2016, update 4, part 2

Let's see some Asteraceae now.

Celmisia semicordata

It's not without some emotion I finally could admire this first flowering ever specimen of that mythic genera Celmisia. I have long dreamt of this huge daisy-like flowers. They're even more beautiful in reality.

Erigeron linearis from Northern America, and blurred Collomia debilis in the foreground.

Another gem from New Zealand, Leucogenes leontopodium. As european as I can be, this, in my opinion and in many ways, is way much superior to our beloved Edelweiss form the Alps. It seems to freely appreciate pure sand growing conditions. Planted in more conventionnal soil in the bed in the garden, it just isn't that beautiful ( far less flowers, and vegetative growth not that strong). Goal for the seasons to come: build a sand scree like place in the bed, and fill it with these amazing wolly white stars ! One or two Celmisias may be accepted too ;)

Leucogenes grandiceps

The small brother of the precedent plant, also still growing in the propagation area in pure sand.

It's such a strange thing to think Leucogenes and Leontopodium have evolved completely separated ways during the times, but nevertheless actually have adopted a similar flowering habit.

I had already posted a picture of that Ligularia some years ago. And can't help doing it again. You won't see any other pic if the plant gets to flowering stage. All its entire beauty is here, in this new unfolding silvery leaves.

Philippe

« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
July 2016, update 4, part 3

Solidago multiradiata.

Also from Northern America. And an exception to this genus, being too often assimiled to more or less pretty weeds which shouldn't be attribuated a place in the garden. And surely not in a rockbed. This species, however, has all that the others don't have. The growth is really compact, and it will perfectly find a place between more precious neighbours.

Now onto Plantaginaceae family, with members of the former Scrophulariaceae

Chaenorrhinum glareosum, from Spain, which again was once merged into the genus Linaria. So much changes...

A tiny but lovely plant, which needs to be appreciated from very close.

Hebe epacridea, from New Zealand. First inflorescence, since the plant was sown 2012. Waiting now for the plant to bear at the end of every stem these little white grouped flowers. Next year maybe!

Veronica bonarota, formerly Paederota bonarota. With some other "strange" plants from the eastern Alps ( Campanula zoysii, Wulfenia carinthiaca, Physoplexis comosa..), a relict of the mountain flora during the warmer era which concerned Europe several million years ago.

Some Caryophyllaceae now.

Dianthus alpinus, absolutely gorgeous, the foliage disappearing under the large flashy pink flowers. Here with a fine water droplets dusting, which makes it even more precious.

Philippe

« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
July 2016, update 4, part 4

Silene alpestris ( white) together with Campanula cochlearifolia ( mauve).

No idea if these both meet naturally in the wild in the same habitat, I guess rather no, but that artificial mix is really charming at flowering time!

Still with Carnation relatives

Silene davidii from China. A good ground carpeter, covered with soft pink flowers.

Out of the family classification for the rest of the update!

Incarvillea species, waiting for a more precise identification. Nonetheless a delicious plant, especially at flowering time of course.

Iris bulleyana, a superb species ( as many others)

Lewisia cotyledon, in huge form, despite the endless watering during May/June, with plenty of selfseedlings around

Philippe

« Reply #277 on: July 13, 2016, 06:47:54 PM »
July 2016, update 4, part 5

Meconopsis, should be racemosa, but labelled horridula. Both species are closely linked and often mistaken.

Myosotis traversii, again from New Zealand mountains.

No great sensation, but happy to have it here flowering!

Place to some true queens now, all originating from the Himalaya or south western China mountains.

Nomocharis aperta

I'll find no word to describe the feeling awaken by the sight of that godly flower. I have spent time standing humbly under that wonder, somehow thinking this just can't have been invented only to attract insects for pollination...

Potentilla coriandrifolia

An aristocrat amongst Potentillas. Delightful shiny deep green foliage, frail flowering stems bearing a small but probably the cutest Potentilla flower I have ever seen

Primula reptans.

Deception in early June when I saw that the Primula would probably not flower this year, judging by the lack of any flowering bud in preparation.

I have been away one week in Switzerland and found that totally unexpected marvel for my return! What an indescriptible joy. Surprisingly, the plant does much better cultivated in 10/10cm pots than directly in the bed.

One must only take immense care not to let it dry out in such conditions.Shading might also be of utter importance when sun and heat strike together.

Philippe

« Reply #278 on: July 13, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »
July 2016, update 4, part 6

Sorry for Ramonda myconi that has to take place after having dreamt of these beauties just before. It now looks so usual, common, what it surely not is in the end, but...

Saxifraga tangutica.

Interesting Saxifraga from China.

And to finish in the greatest simplicity, some Sempervivum pictures.

Partial view of one of the Sempervivum beds at flowering peak.

And close-up on flowers and rosettes.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2016, 06:57:38 PM »
How wonderful to see Primula reptans thriving in cultivation again.  I don't believe that anyone in the UK is still growing this wee gem (?), though I was fortunate enough to see it growing at Tromso Botanic Garden last year.  I exhibited large pans of this in full flower at AGS Shows quite a number of years ago (would anyone happen to have any images of my exhibit at Southport Show as I haven't unfortunately?), so could I recommend that you keep propagating and moving this plant on, Phillippe … if you don't it will simply fade away very quickly.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Philippe

« Reply #280 on: July 13, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
How wonderful to see Primula reptans thriving in cultivation again.  I don't believe that anyone in the UK is still growing this wee gem (?), though I was fortunate enough to see it growing at Tromso Botanic Garden last year.  I exhibited large pans of this in full flower at AGS Shows quite a number of years ago (would anyone happen to have any images of my exhibit at Southport Show as I haven't unfortunately?), so could I recommend that you keep propagating and moving this plant on, Phillippe … if you don't it will simply fade away very quickly.

The Schachen alpine garden in the Bavarian Alps ( run by München BG) has also superb Primula reptans growing outdoor. I mean directly in the bed! I think there, and in Tromso as you say, that gem is fortunately in sure hands right now.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #281 on: July 13, 2016, 07:08:59 PM »
Wonderful news, Phillipe … certainly a fabulous little plant.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Tristan_He

« Reply #282 on: July 13, 2016, 08:06:37 PM »

Silene alpestris ( white) together with Campanula cochlearifolia ( mauve).

No idea if these both meet naturally in the wild in the same habitat, I guess rather no, but that artificial mix is really charming at flowering time!

They do Philippe, in the Triglav / Julian Alps at least. Although we did not see them looking so superb as you have them. I have some seedling S. alpestris and well-established C. cochlearifolia so that is certainly a combination I will try.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:10:04 PM by Tristan_He »

Tristan_He

« Reply #283 on: July 13, 2016, 08:11:18 PM »
Philippe does Haut Chitelet do a seed distribution? You grow some stunning plants.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2016, 11:27:32 PM »
What a floral 'feast' Philippe and Phyteuma vagneri is simply scrumptious! (I must be hungry :)
I will also try the combination of Silene & Campanula cochlearifolia - I don't have alpestris but S. pusilla would do it very well.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal