We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: RARE Cosmos seeds needing responsible homes  (Read 13835 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: RARE Cosmos seeds needing responsible homes
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »
I hadn't thought of layering but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were amenable to that. They easily make roots around the leaf node area, as cuttings, so laid on the ground or a pot surface, they should do the same.

Paul the Dahlias I mentioned were handfull I've bought over the last couple of years, all reds and supposed to be dark red/black shades, for a particular purpose but all have been disappointing, brighter red than I wanted and tending towards cerise in some cases. I need to see the flowers at a Dahlia show and choose there.

This below is the one John Weagle in NS had some seed of. My seedlings were frosted last winter and I lost the lot but a single seed was apparently left in the pot and germinated in late September. This is it now and I'll need to keep it frost-free from now on. It's really a nice plant with smaller foliage, somewhat rough and hairy. I'm sure it too would grow well from cuttings. The only other Dahlia which I value highly, is 'The Bishop of LLandaff' and it too does easily from cuttings.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ielaba2011

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Hello,
I would love to have some of this seeds...I like cosmos, but I´ve never heard of these, would be nice to try. What can I do to get some? Do you still have some seeds? Thank you.
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »
Hello Jaime, it's a bit late for this season. The Cosmos is finishing its flowering now and it didn't set much seed anyway due to a wet and cool summer I think. The little I have been able to gather is already on its way to the RBG, Kew. If you mention it again here or email me privately about next January, I may be able to help.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ielaba2011

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
Hello Jaime, it's a bit late for this season. The Cosmos is finishing its flowering now and it didn't set much seed anyway due to a wet and cool summer I think. The little I have been able to gather is already on its way to the RBG, Kew. If you mention it again here or email me privately about next January, I may be able to help.

Hi Lesley...thank you:) ,I will not forget. I understand, now it´s already too late...but next year ( next Summer for you) I´ll try if there is some seeds left. It would be an honor to try this cosmos, I think the climate here is not too harsh for them, as long as we give them some protection in winter frost...and water in high Summer.
Best of luck with your garden, thank you:)
Jaime, Central Portugal; Zone 9.

www.jamesjardimsuspenso.blogspot.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal