We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Veratrum planting depth  (Read 3313 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Veratrum planting depth
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »
Gote, I bought Veratrum maackii locally some years ago and I have to say your mention of it here and now, is the only reference I've ever seen (not that I've looked). Mine is brown even in the foliage and honestly, is one of my less exciting plants.
I found it a quite nice meadow plant in Utsukushi no Hara near Matsumoto. Unfortunately I have no scans. It is not an exciting plant.  I later bought one and it turned out green and does not do very well. It seems that it is variable in colour and stature.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
Mark I am sure it will find it's optimum depth by itself.  A friend down the road is growing Veratrum nigrum and has a nice clump, this year she was going to split it up but gave up trying as the bulbs had gone much deeper than she had originally planted them.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »
Once well established, the larger veratrums such as niger and album need three strong men with large spades, and probably a small bulldozer with digger attachment, to lift them. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 08:43:31 AM »
Once well established, the larger veratrums such as niger and album need three strong men with large spades, and probably a small bulldozer with digger attachment, to lift them. ???
That gives me three men's strength Lesley  ;D
(But I have light soil - and use a fork not spade)
But I do agree.  They are awkward to move even if not as awkward as Gentiana lutea
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal