We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nice cushions  (Read 5865 times)

alpinelover

Nice cushions
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
Saxifrages has very nice flowers, we all do now that. Butt I admire the rozettes and the cushions also. These plants are eyecathers the hole year.
The first photo is a S. juniperifolia.
The second one is a S. 'Roklan'.
S. 'Arabella' is the thirth one.
The plant on the fourth photo is S. 'Cranbourne', an old classic saxifraga.

The last photo shows a pan with different porphyrionsaxifrages out the floweringseason. Butt even then, it's a delight to see.
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Nice cushions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:34:15 PM »
Saxifrages has very nice flowers, we all do now that. Butt I admire the rozettes and the cushions also. These plants are eyecathers the hole year.
The first photo is a S. juniperifolia.
The second one is a S. 'Roklan'.
S. 'Arabella' is the thirth one.
The plant on the fourth photo is S. 'Cranbourne', an old classic saxifraga.

The last photo shows a pan with different porphyrionsaxifrages out the floweringseason. Butt even then, it's a delight to see.

you are right, they look great--i esp like the juniperifolia foliage, and similar upper right in the group planting

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »
I'm jealous. I cant keep that kind of Sax alive :'(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:47:28 PM »
They're difficult here too Mark mainly because among all the "ordinary" summer days when we can shade them and water them to keep them cool, we have a nor'wester-type day with a wind like off the Sahara desert and no amount of cooling will save the porophyllum saxes. They simply die from heat and drying and they do it so quickly, before we've realized they really need refrigeration. Not the easiest when they're in a large tough. I love them all but really struggle to keep them happy and we have lost so many here in recent years, never to be replaced.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:21:44 AM »
Mark , just read that you celebrated your 50th. -many happy belated Birthday Wishes . I join all the others : you do not look your age . Some 3 years ago in Praghue I asked you what rejuvenating beauty potions you were using on your face -but did not get an answer.
I'm amazed that you find the Porphyrion ( Kabschia) Saxifragas difficult in your climate . They grow reasonably well here ( the few Hyb. and species we have here in Australia) , even though we have a few summer days when the temperature reaches 40 degrees .
 Sax. poluniana was particularly lovely this spring .

Lesley , with your cooler climate in Duneden , I thought you would be more successful with these Saxes than we here in the Dandenongs . Tomorrow (Sat.) Ian and Ann Christie will be up here , Ian to give a lecture to Ferny Creek Hort. Soc. in the afternoon,
 and lunch at my home .
         Otto.

Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 04:44:06 AM »
I think Dunedin generally is OK for them Otto but remember that my place is very warm and horribly dry for around 6 months.

You'd better have a look at the "Garden Benches" thread. :D

Give my kindest regards please to Ian and Ann. I think I may miss them here though I believe they will see Susan and David L.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

alpinelover

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »
They're difficult here too Mark mainly because among all the "ordinary" summer days when we can shade them and water them to keep them cool, we have a nor'wester-type day with a wind like off the Sahara desert and no amount of cooling will save the porophyllum saxes. They simply die from heat and drying and they do it so quickly, before we've realized they really need refrigeration. Not the easiest when they're in a large tough. I love them all but really struggle to keep them happy and we have lost so many here in recent years, never to be replaced.

You're right, Lesley. They do not like of drought and heat. Here in Belgium it is usually not a problem. We usually have rather cool and humid summers here. However, if we have a long hot period some may already have problems.
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »
Not exactly a cushion, certainly not now!
This is all I can see of my roof grown saxes today!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »
Not exactly a cushion, certainly not now!
This is all I can see of my roof grown saxes today!

Looks familiar to me .Stil  a lot of snow and all the alpines covered with a blanket... 
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

kelaidis

• http://prairiebreak.blogspot.com/
    • Denver Botanic Gardens blog
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »
One of the highlights of my trip to Kazakhstan last September was finding Saxifraga albertii, the only Porophyllum that grew in the Tian Shan where we travelled, growing far above treeline (a single small specimen) but then again below treeline on a harsh, gravelly riverbed on the steppes! The picture was taken at the edge of the Djabagly Nature reserve, actually on the Kirghizstan side of the river separating the two nations (we crossed illegally!): it was such a surprise to find a magnificent cushion nearly 30cm across on gravel, at such a low elevation! We did get quite a bit of seed. I would love to see it in white bloom in the spring!

The last picture shows the highest peak in Kirghiztan, not far from where I photographed the saxifrage: it is apparently very popular with climbers: the day was a bit overcast, and I had to zoom in a bit to get the shot...the peak is about 5000m: the Tian Shan are truly awe-inspiring mountains!
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

Hoy

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
That was some real cushions, though!

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 12:42:28 AM »
A few more cushions, anyone?
1) Saxifraga bronchialis in the eastern slope Rockies;
2) Saxifraga sancta var. macedonica - very undemanding here;
3, 4) Saxifraga paniculata var. minutifolia 'Red-backed Spider'(?) in bud and in bloom.  (This is probably a questionable cultivar name, as I've never found any reference to it.)
5) Saxifraga caespitosa, eastern slope Rockies.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Hoy

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »
Nice cushions, Lori! Have you ever tried them as pillows ;D?

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
No, for comfort, I prefer this sort of cushion but it wouldn't do near so well outdoors...   ;)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
nice to see the natives, lori; i haven't seen them, or not that i was able  to identify at least..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal